Chapter One

Spring 2017

Itaewon-dong, Seoul, South Korea

Liam gazed blankly down at the walkway outside the tall black door of his villa in the affluent neighborhood of Itaewon-dong. It was two minutes before midnight and up until two hours ago, he'd been in Gangnam doing a photo shoot for GQ Korea beside Arabelle Lee an up and coming idol that was crossing over to dramas.

"Fuck," he mumbled when he felt his mobile vibrating in his jean's pocket for the second time in less than ten minutes. His inattention and sleepiness had the first call going to voicemail. Pulling his keys out of his pocket he stuck them into the lock with one hand while using the other to hit the accept button on his Bluetooth.

Without looking he knew that the person on the other end was someone from home in the states. "It's almost midnight here," he grumbled as he pushed open the door to his house pausing just long enough to close and lock the door behind him.

A response wasn't immediate but he could hear sniffling on the other side of the phone and for half a second he wished he wouldn't have answered the phone.

"Call me back when you're done crying," he sighed believing the caller to be his second oldest sister Mi Na who was currently divorcing her cheating husband. His sixteen hour day was making his frazzling his nerves as he attempted to run his fingers through his hair only to realize that it was stiff with products. "Ugh, I need to take a shower and wash this crap out my hair."

"Liam," breathed a familiar voice on the other side of the phone.

The budding feel of panic started to nip at Liam aThe woman that had contracted her with Pénte knew her Korean wasn't advanced but with all the dramas, movies and variety shows being released plus her willingness to work for less money had gotten her the spot and he paused in kicking off his shoes. "Erika, what's wrong?"

"God I'm stupid," whispered Erika.

Liam had to stop himself from agreeing. In all the years he'd known Erika he had to admit she was book smart but wasn't the most street smart. "What's wrong," he asked his sleep clouded mind clearing replaced by panic. "Is your father okay? Did something happen to my parents?"

"No," she sobbed on the other end.

Liam released a breath he didn't even know he had pent up, "what's going on then?"

"Ms. Ernhard," she sobbed, "Ms. Ernhard fired me."

Liam's eyebrows rose in surprise. Ms. Ernhard had been a teacher at A Wonderland Daycare when they were kids and had moved her way up until she was the daycare/preschool/kindergarten's director and finally the owner. "Why would she do that," he asked deadpan.

"She sold the place and they are restructuring," supplied Erika on another sob. "Now what am I supposed to do?"

Move here with me, was his first thought followed by try getting another job, but he kept quiet as he tried to get his overworked, sleep-deprived brain to function. Before he could say anything Erika was talking again.

"She told us five weeks ago and I've sent my resume to every school district and childcare center in Lake and Cook County and nothing! Not one call back! Not even one telephone interview," she exclaimed.

"Really," frowned Liam glad he hadn't voiced his snide 'look for another job' comment. Running a hand over his face he walked into the shadowed living room, his feet thankful for the heated bamboo wood floor. Not willing to turn on any of the lamps scattered around he walked toward the dark grey sofa before clicking on a lamp that would only illuminate the small area by the coffee table. Dropping on a seat his elbows fell onto his knees while he let his eyes take in the overflowing box of fan mail with a few stuffed toys on top before his eyes roamed to the polished slate coffee table was a small pile of mail. Everything was sifted through at his agency's office by security and then his manager. Reaching forward he plucked a bright yellow postcard from the middle of the pile and frowned as he read out loud,"All Bright Exchange Program."