Something to Scream About

The bubbly feelings in the pit of my stomach diminish as loud cheering interrupts the captivating music that filled my ears, written by none other than the wondrous Beethoven himself. I reluctantly pause "Symphony No. 9" on my phone and pull out my electric blue earbuds. One of my best friends, Victoria shoots me a look of empathy. "The neighbors are getting loud," she states almost inaudibly. It seems in addition to powering over my music, they have also interrupted her's as well. I silently nod in agreement. She's the only one in my life who seems to appreciate music the way I do.

     "I'm pretty sure the neighbors are at it again," I sigh in slight dismay. At this point, I've become almost accustomed to the rambunctious behavior that carries on next door.

     "At it again?" My friend tilts her perfectly oval shaped face to the side.

     "Yeah, they have a party just about every weekend," I inform her.

     Her big blue eyes extend past their normal size.  "Every weekend?"

     "Uh huh." I nod with a frown, remembering all the trash that will no doubt linger after, and float around for days on end. It usually does. They are pretty much the definition of "litter bugs".

     "That's a bit extreme," Victoria chirps in response.

     "Tell me about it," I mutter and unhappily slump further down in my saucer chair.

     Victoria hops to her feet and pops a hip. "How dare they fill the air with their putrid noise!" She exclaims in mock- sassy tone. I giggle and join in. "I think it's gonna take a lot more than that to stop them," she says after a round of insulting them quietly through the wall. I nod in agreement. Victoria furrows her brows and makes a face. "Who goes to these parties anyway?"

     I shrug. "It really depends on who throws the parties. Unfourtanetly, the kids and the adults both are quite the partiers." I climb over the bed I've had since second grade and peek through the shade at the party next door. I instantly notice the mob crowded in the backyard. I crack open the window and pause. Some upbeat song with a singer that seems to have a voice drowning in auto tune blasts from a speaker in the midst of the people. "It's definitely a high school party," I confirm.

     "How can you tell?" Victoria makes her way over to me.

     "The adult's taste in music is way better than whatever they have on," I say half jokingly.

     "Do you recognize anyone?" She kneels down beside me.

     My eyes dart from silhouette to silhouette in the matter of seconds. "No...you?"

      Victoria adjusts her circular rimmed glasses. "I feel like some of them look familiar, but they're moving too much for me to pick any one of them out."

     Victoria and I cover our ears as a shrilling shriek pierces through the humid air. I groan. "Why are they screaming?"

     Victoria rolls her eyes. "Honestly, who knows?"

     A mischievous grin creeps across my face. "Want to give them something to scream about?"

     Discomfort sweeps over Victoria's face automatically. "Angeline, I swear if you bring out a bunch of pet tarantulas or something, I'm jumping off this roof."

     I laugh. "No, no. None of that," I reassure her before saying thoughtfully, "but tarantulas would be a lovely touch."

     Victoria cups the side of her face gently and sighs. "Why am I not surprised?"

     I just wave her off with a smirk. "I've got an idea, follow me."