Stopover

They finally arrived at what appeared to be- a large rat's den. Apparently rat dens are all the rage these days. Dovi rubbed his aching legs. Reluctantly he joined Rabby in bushwhacking around what amounted to an overgrown lean-to propped against a sheer rock face.

"Thought you said you were just up here?" asked Mac. His eyes narrowed at Rakku.

"Supposed to look like this, you know, hidden and all? Now every woodsman, poacher, and their brother will see it." Rakku twisted the end of his beard around his finger.

"Damn, hidden is one thing, but a reeking cesspool is another," chimed in Wulfgen. "You sure the fat one he stuck isn't still here?" The prince began to dry heave.

"Don't smell nothing," barked Rakku, looking more and more irritated with each clinging vine cut away.

Rakku joined Monti for first watch. The rest settled beneath the lean-to to get some sleep.

Dovi fell asleep immediately despite the nagging roots and jutting stones, but dreams chased doggedly at his restfulness. He watched his mother slip under the well water, a lone hand slapping at the stone before disappearing from view. Craeve leaned over the top of the well. She stretched down more than seemed humanly possible and reached for his struggling mother. The Monster was there as well, watching over Craeve's shoulder.

Dovi awoke with a start. Something was wrong; a heavy foreboding settled upon his chest. His breathing was barely perceptible. Heart rate plummeted. An invisible force snapped his head back, pinning him to the damp forest floor.

"I see you my sweet Dovinicus," rasped Craeve, somewhere deep in the recesses of his mind.

Dovi's eyes moved of their own volition, stopping to stare into a dark alcove tucked beneath the thickest branch of the lean-to covering.

The slightest movement; a hint of fluttering wings. A small hawk sat atop a jutting branch, only a few feet above his face. He willed himself to scream or run or cry, but he remained silent and immobilized. The hawk bobbed its head wildly from left to right, then finally settled down and stared deep into Dovi's gray eyes.

"You must believe this if you believe anything at all. I didn't kill your mother. Deep in your heart, you know who did. A sickness burns within him. I went to see her that night. She feared what your father would do to you. She knew it was only a matter of time before he killed you. I took pity on her, as I know what loss is. We made an agreement; I would take you to get the help you needed. Think of how I've treated you. I've always protected you. Be wary of the others; the prince is the fool, the old man folly and your father venom. If you give me your word, I will keep Belesarum and the Crown off your trail. Do not play me for a fool, for I have nothing to lose if you turn against me. Will you stand with me?" asked Craeve.

After a long hesitation, Dovi answered, "Yes, you have my word."

The hawk's head shook excitedly.

"Good, keep this between us. Smile more and think less. Tell no other. I will be watching." The hawk fluttered its wings, took silent flight and disappeared into the forest gloom.

The heaviness finally abated and Dovi regained full functionality. His mind raced. He felt like screaming or crying or running, but he settled for closing his eyes and trying to push it all away. Dark thoughts scattered for a few fleeting, peaceful moments. He basked in a quiet emptiness for just a few seconds, before life came rushing back at him.

He would keep Craeve's pact secret for the time being. It wouldn't hurt anyone. If she keeps her promise, Belesarum and the Crown would be kept at bay. I feel as though I'm being pressed further and further into a tiny corner. Coming at me from all sides. I don't know if I can hold onto my sanity much longer.