Irony

Once upon a time in an era of technological epoch, a beautiful couple decided to buy an android unit. Their purpose in buying this machine was to help them ease the workload for the both of them, for they both have jobs to attend to. The android; a model made to resemble a 10 year old boy, performed his given task every day; would it be maintaining the lawn or to cleaning the house.

The couple was very pleased with the performance of the little machine that they gave it a name, Ammon. But despite of that they felt something is missing; for them the android looked like a normal boy, but his behavior is that of a machine. They do know that, that's what to expect from it, but they wanted it to be more human.

A year pass and the wife bear a child, with that the little android's workload increased slightly, but despite of the small increase; Ammon doubled his performance. After another nine months the child was born, with this the workload increased two folds, almost not stopping at times. The little machine in the end of the year the child was born, broke down; its servos wear down and its effectiveness dwindle.

The problems with the mechanical construction continued, and started to cripple the little android to a point that it can't support itself to at least stand. The couple got heart broken when they saw their little helper in such condition, but their heart got shredded to pieces when they heard the machine's proposal.

"Sir, Ma'am, in my current condition I will be more of liability than a productive product, I suggest that you dispose of me and contact the company that made me, my servo motors shouldn't have wear down from just after 2 years of continues labor. I am Defective, and by the standard of my creators, must be scraped. But because I am a Defective product, they will surely be happy to give you a Replacement." The little helper said while he lay on the bed the couple provided him. His eyes were empty, no trace of fear can be found.

From every word that Ammon uttered, the wife's tears flowed down her cheeks, she broke down crying when she heard her helper utter 'Defective' and 'Replacement'. For the couple this machine, no this boy has been a part of their still small family, and they won't accept that this boy is Defective, nor can he be Replaced by something. Knowing what his half will say, the husband stared right in the eyes of the little figure laying on the bed. He then spoke.

"Listen up kid, you may not be from this woman's womb nor related to us by blood and flesh. You may be made up of steel, but we still regard you as our child. YOU are not Defective, nor can be Replaced! You're our child the same as the baby my wife gave birth to. Remember this Ammon; We WILL not Replace you nor do we see you as a Defective!"

The blank expression that Ammon always wear shattered when he heard the man's words; his rational processor not able to keep up with the irrational feelings the man revealed. For the first time the android's face showed an expression: shocked. He did not expected that his sentimental value to this couple were this much. Sure humans can be attach to inanimate objects, but this is just plain irrational.

"We will use every penny we have just so you can be fixed to your tip top shape. I don't care if we have to sell this house for your sake." The man continued.

"But, Sir-!"

"Honey where's the nearest branch of that company again?" The asked, as she wipe her tears away and reach for her mobile phone.

"In the city, set the schedule as soon as possible."

Unable to do anything, and also shocked by the response to his proposal; Ammon run his processor to its limit all day as he try to find any 'Rational' explanation to why his value to this family is so great. He's just a bunch of steel machinery and circuitry after all.

During the days before the set schedule, he could see his 'Owners' doing his supposed chores, and all at the same time, caring for him and their child. Unable to find an answer to his question he asked the wife.