Introduction: The Last Day on Earth

I don't know how I got into this situation. I heard about a proposition about creating a new environment on Ceres. I knew there were rumors about it, but I had never imagined it possible. Since I was at NASA, I was already a shoe-in for the job to travel there. Being on the STEM education research team for three years, I had already known what I was doing. Getting this job was really thanks to my best friend Timothy, or Timmy for short, who had already worked there and had had maybe put in a good word for me. Timothy was on the Prototype Development team, fabricating Ceres ONE, the transportation vehicle to go to Ceres. 
My last day on Earth is pretty scary to think about. Making new life on Ceres would make life harder for me without a doubt. So, to make my last day on Earth rememberable, I decided to take a drive down to the beach to gaze at the sunset. As I drove along the road next to the sea, the sun was just about to set. I reached the beach and the boardwalk where I parked my blue honda civic. I walked slowly to the edge of the shore. I looked down at my feet and stared at the tides. I'd always loved learning about tides for my love of water. The water's length was coming up the shore. I could tell then and there that the water was at high tide. This explains why it took less time to get to the edge of the shore. The tides are affected by the Sun and the Moon's gravitational pull. The moon's gravity causes the tide on one side of the Earth while on the opposite side it's caused by inertia. I looked up from my feet to see the sun setting at this point. A big breeze of wind rustled my hair back and forth. I felt like a goddess for a couple of sweet moments. I started to feel tears swell up in my eyes. I didn't want to leave Earth, but I had to do it for the sake of the people who wanted to get a fresh start on Ceres.

It started to get dark out and I looked up at the sky to see that there was a full moon. This must be the full moon phase. We have eight phases of the moon visible from earth. The first cycle starts with the new moon. When we can't see the moon, that's why it gets so dark without it. Then it goes into the waxing crescent and then the first quarter and to the waxing gibbous. After that part, we have the full moon. Which I love to look at. We mainly only get a full moon once a month, and two if we're lucky. After the full moon we have the waning gibbous, to the last quarter and last but not least the waning crescent. And then it repeats itself.

Sadly to say, Ceres doesn't have any moons or water. Without those, we won't have any tides. Which for me is a pretty big disappointment, I had always loved the ocean. It was despairing to think that I would never set foot on Earth ever again.

After yesterday, I was called to NASA to celebrate our new lives on Ceres. On the day of the ship launch, we were mainly looking up at the moon. From there, we all had decided to launch on a day of the eclipse. All of us had our eclipse glasses looking up at the moon blocking the sun. I had a sudden flashback before I got the job at NASA. I had to brush up on my knowledge of the eclipses before I could petition for the position of supervisor of the STEM education team. How that a solar and lunar eclipse are two different things. We're experiencing a solar eclipse which is when the moon blocks the sun completely. And this blocks the light of the sun from reaching Earth. With a lunar eclipse, the Earth is right in between the sun and the moon. So the Earth is blocking the sunlight that normally is reflected by the moon. Looking up at the Solar eclipse is always a once in a lifetime thing.