Chapter 4

Please leave some comments below! I like to know what you think of the story. Here is a picture of Evan...

___________________________________________________________

He spoke to me. He likes the same band as me, My Chemical Romance. He acknowledged my existence as a fellow human being. He is different from the others, but he and I are the same. Ryan. I learned his name earlier today, when I crossed him in the hallway. There was something about him that was special, that he had, but no other boy seemed to possess.

"We should invite him to go out to Orange Blossom," suggests Evan as we walk back home together. "This is the first truly nice person we've met since entering Garrett High last year. And since we're all constantly tortured by Boris and the others, we should try to help each other out."

"You're right. I want to ask him about himself and how his issues with Boris started. I hope he'll be willing to tell us, because I also want to talk to someone other than you about, well, you know, our problems..." I say, hesitantly.

"Yeah, that's true. Anyway, we sort of need more friends, especially after... Marilyn..." Evan's voice trails away.

I look to the side, uncomfortable. We both remember Marilyn. We were a sort of trio, since the middle of the 3rd grade, when she moved here, to Massachusetts, from California. We had stuck together, until the end of middle school. In the 6th grade, Evan and I had started becoming the outcasts, not following the latest fashion, not listening to the current popular music, not doing our hair the way the others did. These little things caused Marilyn to slowly drift apart from us, the thread connecting us to her growing thinner every day. Then, at the end of November in 7th grade, during the Thanksgiving lunch at school, the thread snapped. Marilyn decided not to sit with us as she usually did, opting instead to settle down between two of the girls who were to become the Stylettes.

That wasn't the worst part though. After Thanksgiving break, a boy named Theo asked Evan out. She had liked him for a while, so she had immediately accepted. I congratulated her, feeling glad that the boy she loved had become her boyfriend. Little did she know that Theo didn't actually like her at all, but was using every bit of information she told him to spread rumors about her throughout the school. By the time we found out that Marilyn and her new friends had planned it all out together, Evan had become a victim of all of the stupid people in this hell of a school, because Theo had started a story that she was a slut. Worse, he had used the information she gave about me to spread the rumor that I was a filthy lesbian, and that was when the torment from the infinite number of idiotic homophobes at school. Anyway, why would it even matter? It really wasn't important, even though I wasn't one, and even if I was, I was still a human being like everyone else.

No one spoke to us, and every time we exchanged glances with anyone, they gave us dirty looks as if we were covered in slugs and mud or something like that. We were looked down upon, hated, and we started to split ourselves from the rest of the world. It was like we were zoo animals, put there to be gawked at by everyone. Why did it have to be us, though? Often I feel like the world has a grudge against certain people, and decides to make them suffer more than others.

And that was our life in middle school. We never spoke to anyone, we preferred black to pink, we took refuge in the world of poetry, rock music and band t-shirts. We were known as the emos, made fun of by everyone, and Marilyn had never spoken to us again. The first year of high school, it was pretty much the same, except for the fact that Boris came and made everything ten times worse. He greeted us every morning with a list of insults and jeers that often came with a kick or a punch in the arm. He never left us alone, and as soon as he had become a Monster and found out who we were, his words had tortured us, but especially me. I never knew exactly why and how he had developped this hatred for me, but I began showing symptoms of depression. However, I would never tell anyone except for Evan, because she knew exactly what I was going through. No one else would be willing to listen or understand, and it's not like I can trust anyone with my secrets anymore.

But now Ryan is here. I've spoken to him twice now, once during the pencilcase incident and again in the hallway, that time Evan being with me. Each time, he is polite, calm, the same sweet but nervous smile slowly spreading across his features. Even so, he will have to gain our trust before we can be safe opening up to him. I really don't want more emotion in my life.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Short chapter, I know, but I wrote this on a bus and couldn't concentrate that well... (⌒_⌒;) sorry