6. Frank

"We can't accept her offer," I plead with Joe. "Yeah, she seems nice but we don't know her and A.T.A.C. and Dad say that she is dangerous. You saw her over there. She is stronger or as strong as you. And she is smart and sharp and crafty-"

"And I'm standing here with a major bleeding and can't drive. I mean, if we work together we're a lot more powerful than her. Look at her. She seems concerned and so nice." As he talks, Joe glances over at Nancy. "Plus, if we don't take her up on her offer we lose our suspect and walk home. By the time we get home, my neck will be infected." To finish his statement Joe gives me The Look. It's The Look that makes me feel like I'm his parent rather than his older brother by one year.

"Fine," I finally let out. "But if she causes trouble it is your problem."

"K," Joe replies.

He runs over to Nancy. "Nancy, we're taking your car," he announces.

Joe! Why can't he be polite? I mean it's not like it's his car. Fortunately, Nancy doesn't seem fazed by his rudeness.

"Okay, come on, it's not too far away. Just across the street to the left," Nancy directs cheerfully.

Nancy leads us to her car. It's nice, but for a rich, daughter-of-a-lawyer it's a bit of a let-down. It's a brand-new, blue Camry with a scrape up on the passenger side door. Joe climbs in the front seat, leaving me in the back, not that I mind. It means I won't have to talk much and can think more.

"Here," Nancy hands Joe her gold iPhone, "Put your address in the GPS."

Never mind the 'her stuff being a downer'. She had to save money on the car to get her new phone. Joe happily takes the phone and puts our address in. Wait, A.T.A.C. said she knew where we lived. This is getting confusing. We need to question her. Luckily Joe had the same thought.

"So, where do you live?" he asks Nancy knowing perfectly well the answer.

"Illinois. I'm here on vacation to see my aunt. Where are your bikes?"

"There," Joe answered pointing out the window. Nancy brakes, parks and gets out.

"Frank and I will get the bikes. You stay there," Nancy orders Joe.

So I'm elected. I grab Joe's keys from his outstretched hand and hop out. Nancy and I each grab a bike. I was going to offer to take both bikes and help her then I remembered how strong she is. Guess she doesn't need help. Together we lift Joe's motorcycle on the roof and she straps it down as I hold it in place. It appears she has a luggage rack and a special roof rack that carries extra weight so it is easy to do. We lift mine onto the car too. Nancy made the straps look easy to buckle. Nancy has finished strapping down Joe's cycle and is watching me struggle.

"Here, I'll help you." She takes my place and does a series of pulls, snaps, and laces. I just stare at her mesmerized. Not only is Nancy smart but she is strong, confident, sweet and concerned. I am surprised but I actually like her. But I can't let my feelings get the best of me. She is still a suspect and it is slightly suspicious that she has this roof rack for cycles. What the heck has she decided to haul? Nancy finished and climbs back in the car. I wonder what Joe was doing the second I sit down and get a look at his face. The expression is one I see too often. Guilt, shining through the mask he wears for Nancy's sake. She powers up the engine and slowly rolls away, careful with her heavy luggage. You know, for a top suspect she certainly acts too nice.

"Nancy, what do you like to do for fun?" Joe asks once we hit the road.

Nancy, without even looking at him answers, "Well, I jog, and ...." she hesitates. " I am an amateur detective, I help my dad in his office and I sometimes play some sports."

For us being strangers, Nancy is pretty open. She must know something we don't. You know how I was listing her qualities, well, she's also not self-conscience. How do I know? She offered to take us home and she is totally stained all over her shirt and now that we are stopped at a light she is sliding off her sandals. Now she is barefoot.

"Do you have a big family?" Joe asks. He asks this because we don't really know about her personal life.

"It is only my dad and me," Nancy replies. "My mom died when I was little and Dad hasn't remarried. Our housekeeper is my only motherly figure and she doesn't even wear make-up. So I learn that kind of stuff from my friends. But my dad is real dope. Busy, but great." She told a heartbreaking story but laughed at some parts. I don't think I could do that. Mend so easily after a death? No way.

"Do you have siblings or an aunt and uncles?" Joe asks. His voice sounds sad. Nancy talking about her mom probably made Joe remember Iola. She was his girlfriend until she was blown to bits by a bomb meant for us. He still thinks she's out there somewhere. I wonder if Nancy feels that way and that's why she can talk so openly about her mom.

"Well, I am an only child and so was my mom, but Dad got a sister that lives in New York City. But she's single," Nancy smiles, "maybe one day she'll marry."

We were on our street now.

"We are 225," Joe told Nancy. She pulls in the driveway and parks. She unbuckles and steps out. I hustle Joe to the door while Nancy detaches the cycles. Joe and I go directly to the bathroom. Dad comes down the hall, sees us and follows. I forgot to call him!

"Why are you back so early?" Dad asks.

"Because you're right," Joe says it so matter-of-factually.

"What?!" Dad and I both shout.

"Nancy Drew is on our trail," Joe smiles.

"Oh," I say laughing.

Dad still looks confused.

"Look out the window." Joe offers as he starts to bandage his neck.

Sure enough, there was Nancy, unloading Joe's bike off the roof but that's not the only person who is out there.

"Aunt Trudy!" Joe and I groan.

Aunt Trudy is out there talking to Nancy and helping her lift the cycle. They have now finished and Nancy is leaning against her car as curious, prying Aunt Trudy is probably asking her every inappropriate question in the world.

"You brought her to our home? How did you get her so fast? It's only eleven o'clock."

Wow, eleven already.

"No, Dad, we found her in town. She really was on our trail. Her, Joe and I got in a scuffle and Joe got hurt so she drove us home." I explain.

Dad glances at Joe for once and sees the bandage he has applied to himself.

"Well now, what are we going to do?" Joe asks. "If you ask me, she doesn't seem like criminal material. She acts like a sweet, young woman."

"That happens to be really alert, strong, confident and, well, lots more," I add.

"Well, I'll go explain to your mom," and with that Dad left.

"You want to know more about her," Joe asks me with a mischievous grin.

Uh-oh.

He dug into his pocket and produced a driver's license, that wasn't his.

"I looked through her purse while you two were loading the cycles. I "borrowed" her license. Now we can check her out in the crime lab."

"You shouldn't have done that but," I sigh. "I'll check her up while you keep her busy. Make sure she doesn't leave or notice me gone."

"Sir, yes, sir," Joe says, saluting and marching from the room.

Joe acts like such a little kid sometimes. I dash downstairs to the lab and hop on the computer. I log in and put Nancy's name and license number in. It turns out she has gotten a lot of warning and tickets for speeding and illegally parking. She also has a history of hacking, breaking and entering and trespassing. She stole a few cars and a boat. And apparently kidnapped a six-year-old girl. Wow! It also says she helps the cops a lot and is their best non-hired detective. Why would the police choose her? It's a wonder she has a license. This is all so confusing. According to this Nancy Drew sounds like a very likely criminal.