Courage

The first time he saw her she wasn't pretty. She was curled in a ball and her face was red, her eyes bloodshot from the tears that were covering her face. He didn't know what was wrong or what he could do. By the time he realized he should have sat beside her and helped, he had already walked by.

The second time he saw her she looked better. She didn't look happy exactly but it wasn't heartbreaking like before. She was walking down the hall, with her textbooks in her arms, trying not to bump into anyone. By the time he realized he wanted to talk to her, she had already rushed by.

The third time he saw her, she looked cute. Sitting in a corner of the library with her knees pulled in close. She was deep in her book and seemed at peace. He wanted to talk to her but didn't want to disturb the peace. By the time he realized she wouldn't mind, he had already lost confidence.

The fourth time he saw her, she looked bad. Sitting in the waiting room in guidance with bruises on her face. But he didn't just watch this time. He went up to her and told her it was okay. He didn't ask and she didn't tell, he just took her hand in his.

The four hundred and sixty seventh time he saw her, she looked angelic. She smiled and the moonlight reflected in ways that made everything seem perfect. He was on one knee on top of a very uncomfortable pebble, but that didn't matter because she looked beautiful, and she had said "yes".

THE END