The Surface

Drops of sky water slam against the surface of the dim green sea, causing loud vibrations to drift through the current and whisper into my ears.

A smile settles on my lips as I twist and twirl, weaving my way through the brightly colored coral, watching the multitudes of fish and aquatic life silently, as they swim and carry on with their daily lives.

The current shifts slightly and some of the fish scurry into various hidey holes, vanishing from sight. A giggle escapes my lips and my thick black locks curl around me as my body shakes with laughter.

After a moment my amusement dies down just as I feel more vibrations whistle by my range of hearing and I smile, my thoughts drifting to that of the Overworld.

What is it like, I wonder, to feel the sky water fall on my face, to drink up the sights and feel the sky sphere's warm rays on my skin without the film of the surface to obstruct my view.

I sigh and drift up to open water, the surface so close yet so far away. My heart aches in my chest and my very being yearns to burst through the surface.

Oh, if only I could.

My bottom lip quivers and my eyes sting with moisture. I sniffle softly, catching the attention of wandering fish. They float close to me, eyeing me curiously. I smile and take a few deep breaths, letting a wave of calm wash over me.

Raising my head, I look up at the surface. The sky water has stopped falling and the sky sphere peaks out from behind large white puffs in the sky.

A hord of dolphins dart past me and fly through the water, breaking the surface.

I gaze at them in wide-eyed wonder, envying them silently.

I could do that.

I could.

I could break past that boundary and bask in the brightly lit glory of the Overworld.

I'm right there. The surface is right there.

One powerful flick of my tail and I'd be right there, with the crisp, fresh air on my fair skin.

I glance around, not a single mer in sight. My heart begins to beat anxiously in my chest.

I could really do it. I-...I could.

Biting down softly on my lower lip, I make a decision.

The warm tropical ocean light catches my glittering black and grey speckled tail, causing it to shine brightly as I swim towards the surface.

When I am close, I let myself drift up to the edge of the surface. The water stirs then goes still. Suddenly I feel afraid.

I am breaking a taboo. I know I am. I could be punished.

Horribly punished.

But...

I reach out, the tips of my fingers only away from the surface.

I'm so close. I can feel it!

The water seems to pulse around me. I move my hand closer, my fingertips brushing the surface.

My heart leaps into my throat and I struggle to swallow it down.

I suck in a breath and pull my hand back, cradling it against my chest. The very tips of my fingers feel brand new. I bring them to my lips and kiss them softly.

I can do this.

Flicking my tail softly, I float closer to the surface, the tip of my nose only inches away. I let out a shaky breath, my nerves getting the best of me.

I can do this.

Pushing myself forward, I close my eyes and break through the surface into the Overworld.