Good For Something

When practice finally ended, Bruce silently put soccer balls away while Diana talked to the team about an upcoming game. Then the girls left, and Bruce silently helped Diana carry equipment to her car.

"Well, there you go," he finally said, heaving the bag of soccer balls into her trunk and slamming it shut.

"Thanks for your help," she said, hoisting her duffel bag onto her shoulder.

"Yeah, no problem. Um, so we should probably talk...." he trailed off.

"Yeah, definitely," Diana nodded.

"About the Official Top Secret Justice League stuff, I mean," Bruce added hastily. Diana nodded again, a trace of a smile on her face.

"Yeah. Okay. Name the time and place."

"Uhhh..." Bruce was having trouble thinking straight. "I don't know. I'll call you. Later. But I better get going, now. I have a meeting," he muttered, motioning to his car.

"Okay. Well, you have my number," Diana waved her cell phone around, ten tossed it in her bag. Bruce nodded.

"Yep." He stared at her for a second too long. "Okay, well. Bye." He started to walk away.

"Wait, Bruce," Diana said, grabbing his forearm just before he walked out of reach. He raised his eyebrows in question, and she said, a little bit softer, "I love you too." She motioned to her other hand. His eyes narrowed in question, and it took a second for him to register what she had just said. He looked down, only to see the lasso glowing again. Except this time, it was wrapped around Diana's wrist.

Bruce looked back up at Diana's face. She was smiling, laughing softly. In less than a second, he had pulled her  closer to himself. Then her face was cupped in his hands and her arms were around his neck and his lips were on hers. The kiss was spontaneous and chaotic, but it was the good kind of chaos. The kind that made it seem as if you had lost all control. It only lasted about a few seconds, until they were out of breath, but it felt longer. Like time had stopped and only started again when they pulled apart and looked into each other's eyes.

"Are you...do you have plans tonight?" he asked, still a little bit out of breath. She shook her head.

"I can change them. Is this about the Official Top Secret Justice League business?" she asked, a smile on her face once again. He grinned back at her.

"Something like that. I'll pick you up at seven?" he asked, backing up toward his car. She nodded in agreement and opened her own car door.

"Wear something cute," she called, before shutting her car door and starting her car. He threw his head back in laughter, and she waved, laughing too, and drove away.

Bruce got into his car, still smiling like an idiot, and sighed.

That Lasso really was good for something.