A Lady Never Interrupts

Drake had been away for far too long for his liking. Edward had needed him desperately, though, as he needed his best friend there as they brought back his missing wife.

The Queen had disappeared off the face of the earth for nearly two years with her son and servant. It had nearly killed Edward, but he managed for a while.

After a while, Edward began to lose hope for his wife's return. He wrote to Drake and asked him to return for help.

They had found Annalisa in a small bar, hiding right under his nose.

It did not matter to Edward, though, for he had his family back and that was all that mattered.

Two months, he stayed in England, feasting and drinking to his heart's content. He did his best to look elated for Edward, but his mind and his heart were constantly trapped with Katherine.

As he watched his best friend and his wife, Annalisa, enjoy their new child, Drake couldn't help but wish he was back in France with Katherine in his arms. He wished so dearly to be that happy with her.

Every thought he had was with her. His heart and body ached to be able to see her again. Thus, he came to a conclusion, in the midst of a long night, that would change his whole life.

He was in love with Katherine. So, he threw himself out of his bed, packed his bags and ran down to the King's room.

Edward, though, did not emerge, despite Drake's constant banging on the door. Drake would have woken up the entire palace before giving up his mission.

Finally, the door open, just a small portion, and revealed Annalisa, with a sheepish smile.

"Can I help you, Drake?" She asked.

"Where is your husband?" He asked, not waiting for pleasantries to get to his point.

Annalisa stifled a giggle and glanced back inside the room, "Busy."

Drake narrowed his eyes, "Annalisa, I don't have time for this. It's urgent."

She frowned at him, "Well, I do not appreciate your tone, peasant."

"Annalisa..." he complained but she cut him off.

"My son keeps me busy all the time and all I want is to have a few hours of enjoyment with my husband. So, if you do not mind, I would like for you to go to sleep." She snapped before shutting the door in his face.

Drake remained at the door, waiting silently for the door to open again. When it did, a shirtless Edward appeared with his hair ruffled and his pants hastily put on.

"Please excuse Annalisa. I am sure you understand how a woman can react with little sleep." Edward apologized.

Drake gave him the 'I know everything' look.

Edward shrugged, "I cannot help my marital issues. What was it you need to bang on my door for?"

Drake ran a hand through his hair, "You know how you lay in bed and you just can't get something off your mind?"

Edward nodded and leaned against the door, his strong arms crossing over his chest.

"There was this girl back in France, under Lady Eleanor's watchful eye."

Edward's face fell, "Eleanor has a daughter?"

Drake shook his head, "No, no. It's her cousin or something like that. She is teaching her the ways of society. This is not the important thing here. I love her."

Edward sank to his knees and bellowed a hearty, loud laugh, "You? Thomas Drake, Duke of the largest estate in the whole realm and world renounce womanizer, is in love with a woman?"