28 | Forgetting Karina

TRIGGER WARNING:
Violent death scene.

EVERY STEP, every breath, every heartbeat was one done out of fear of being caught by Death's slender fingers. Every thought to run through Jasmine's head was nothing more than a silent prayer to keep her feet moving through the empty hallway. She could see the Grim Reaper patiently getting ready to steal them from this Earth as soon as she reached the room.

She wasn't sure if this omen would take the form of Selena or Maria, or if she would be pathetically surprised. Either way, there would be someone waiting for her when she pushed that heavy metal door open, cowering behind a flimsy hand grasping an all-powerful gun.

She took a second to think, to analyze, to approach the situation as more than just rash, overconfident actions with no thought as to the inevitable consequences. Instead, the only thing running through her mind was the fact that the last conversation she had with her mother ended with her hanging up before either was ready to say goodbye. And here she was, her fingers resting on the handle that led to the moment they had all been waiting for, only being able to think about her mother.

Aishwarya would yell at her for not using the brilliant mind gifted to her to get out of this situation. She would chastise her for letting her emotions block her thoughts from becoming actions. She would remind her that thinking with the heart only ends in pain.

The old Jasmine would have agreed, but now, she can't remember any other way to lead her life other than by the heartstrings. And if that was the reason she died, she would be fine with that. But if her irrational thinking was the reason she lost Karina or Evan, she would never forgive herself.

Jasmine let out a shaky breath and opened the door in a single moment of courage. Once she was inside, she was back to being a scared little girl, wishing for her family to support her like they always have.

This time though, she was alone.

She wrapped her arms around herself and looked around, greeted by nothing other than darkness, until the lights flickered on. Jasmine placed a hand over her eyes, trying to squint through the spotlight that seemed to be focused on her. When she finally lowered her palm, a shrill shriek left her lips.

In front of her was a woman with a mask on, identical to what Ashton was wearing when she was assaulted. Before she could yank the covering off her face, the woman sprinted to the back of the room, where Karina and Evan sat idly. Their hands were tied behind them and they watched her with expressions that showed their desire to disclose everything they knew without being killed for speaking it.

"Let them go!" Jasmine screamed.

"Not until you choose." The woman's voice boomed through the room like an incoming thunderstorm.

She met Karina's gaze, whose eyes widened. Jasmine wasn't sure if that was a warning or a silent message for her to make a run for it. She decided it was the latter. She broke into a run, hearing footsteps behind her but not giving a damn anyway. She lept for Karina's chair, holding onto her cousin's legs as she shook her head over and over again.

"I'm not letting her go," Jasmine cried and the woman standing beside her chuckled.

"I was told this wasn't going to be easy. Good thing I love a challenge," she said and turned her attention to the person who was running after her but had suddenly stopped. "Do what you must, honey."

The last thing Jasmine saw was Evan fall forward in his chair as he tried to reach her, followed by Karina's mind-shattering scream.

The last thing she felt was a sharp metal collide with her skull, leaving her with nothing but the darkness to embrace as blood trickled down the side of her face.