Chapter 2 - Look Out Freshman Coming Through!

Kaytlyn's POV:

Wow! Now that's what I call a school! The interior of the school had a long hallway filled with an array of large, bright, yellow lockers that signified the school colors. The hallways were filled with bustling teenagers that ranged from 14 to 18. I noticed a glass display beside me and examined the huge case of trophies that lined the shelves. There was one that caught my eye. It was a 12 inch, plastic gold beauty. The plaque read, 'North Pineswood High - Soccer Player of 2016 - Bethany Clarkson'. I couldn't help but let my eyes linger over those words. Soccer Player of  2016. Soccer was always a passion of mine, but due to the excessive homework and exams happening, it was hard to keep up a regular practice.

"Kaytlyn! Hurry up! They're going to close the doors the auditorium!" Chloe exclaimed. She was standing in front of large wooden doors, next to a boy who was presenting his ID to a teacher.

I quickly rushed over to where Chloe was standing and took out my ID from middle school. It was mandatory, apparently, to hold onto your ID from Middle School, just so it was easier to identify your grade and scheduling. 

We soon reached the table in front of the doors, a boy around the age of 18 was seated behind it with a stack of paper beside him. He looked up and pointed towards my ID, which I soon realized I was clutching extremely hard in my hands. "Hi! Welcome to North Pineswood High!" he exclaimed in a very fake yet enthusiastic way.

"Hello! I'm Chloe and this is my friend Kaytlyn!"

"It's nice to meet you girls, now, let me see you IDs so I can give you, your schedules." He stated in a bored yet monotoned voice. 

I glanced at Chloe with a confused expression, only to have look at me the same way. What is up with this dude? A small happy greeting was really that hard to say? I shook my head and ignored this thought before handing my ID over.

He scanned the ID, before marking a piece of paper and scavenged through the stack of papers and grabbing one that was towards the bottom. He thrust it towards me, and snatched Chloe's and continued the identical process. I scoffed at his arrogant behavior before looking at Chloe. 

I mouthed 'I'll be inside' and she nodded. After I got her approval, I started my way towards a large group of kids that all seemed to be my age who were inside the auditorium. As I got closer, I realized a lot of them were from my previous school, some were from a neighboring middle school in the same area. 

The auditorium was a huge cubic room with a large wooden stage up front. There were chairs set up into neat rows and the teachers were all seated up on the stage. There wasn't anyone at the microphone stand at the moment. All the students took seats as up front as they could, and seeing as I was one of the last kids to enter, I took a seat towards the end. 

Chloe joined me at the back, just as the lights began to dim.

"I can't believe we're actually in Middle School!" she exclaimed quietly."

"No, it just means that we'll receive more work and the tests will increase in intensity, to the point where we'll just end up dying because High School will potentially kill us," I stated nonchalantly. 

Chloe rolled her eyes, "You're so dramatic Katie, honestly, just try to enjoy it while it lasts, trust me, you'll regret missing the experience."

I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Sure, and I can fly all the way to Mars. We barely  even started High School and I can already tell that it's going to be exhausting." 

Chloe was about the shoot something back but she shut her mouth when the principal bounded onto the stage and stood behind the microphone podium. He was large, portly man, with slicked-back hair, unfortunately, his hair was almost gone with the wind, as there was barely any there. He was dressed in a navy blue suit and his skin was tanned in an unnatural way.

"How lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends!  " he brightly exclaimed.

"Welcome students, to North Pineswood High! I'm glad to have all of you here. Together we can all achieve greatness. This beautiful school has always considered the education of youths, just like you, of vital importance. Although I've only been in this school for 6 years, I plan on changing each one of your lives for the better..." 

After that short ongoing speech, I started to tune out on the introduction.