Chapter 5: Doppleganger Syndrome

Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach. Tite Kubo does. Any other references made in this story belong to their respective owners. I only own the OC characters.

-------

The small party of Maddie, Carter, Rukia, and Ichigo met up with each other outside the small courtyard grounds of the complex. When Maddie and Carter reached each other, they began to converse with each other rapidly. Rukia and Ichigo did the same behind them.

"What's going on?" Ichigo asked.

"Maddie said that the portal was in its final stages of opening."

"What?" Ichigo exclaimed, looking up to stare at the mass of reiatsu above them.

Maddie's and Carter's exchange was more straightforward. "Did you see that?" Maddie asked.

"Of course I did. I felt it. Is it what I think it is?" Carter answered.

"Yeah," Maddie affirmed. She turned to face the massive reiastu. "I'm going to have to go and take a closer look."

Carter put a hand on her shoulder. "You're not going up there alone," he stated firmly.

Maddie smiled at him. "I had a feeling you were going to say that."

Turning her head back to the portal, Rukia's and Ichigo's minds were blown once again as Maddie began her means of ascension. From her back, a brilliant pair of dove-white angel wings unfolded from a space that seemed impossible to fit them in. The stark-white feathers glistened in the sunlight, making them quite dazzling. She stretched them out behind her and to either side, opening up to her full wingspan, which was about twice the size of her arm length. She fluttered them about, letting loose big feathers that floated gently on the wind. She turned to look behind her. "You two can come with us, but I'm warning you... be careful, and stay close."

Carter transformed into his falcon form, and with a flap of her wings, Maddie soared high into the air, towards the pulsing rift, the shape of Carter's falcon form following close behind.

Ichigo stared at each other with their open-mouthed expressions, wondering what other extraordinary things that these people had to show. With their silent communication done, they disappeared in a flash to follow the feathery duo.

They stopped to find Maddie hovering in front of the portal, lightly flapping her wings to stay afloat, Carter perched on her shoulder. Being so close to the powerful gate gave off a sense of cold uneasiness, as if whatever was on the other side could destroy the vicinity just by stepping through to enter into their world. Rukia averted her gaze from the rift and looked down. Something caught her eye.

"What's that?" she asked, pointing down towards the water.

Maddie looked in the direction she was pointing in and saw what she was making out. "I'm not sure," she answered.

Rukia had been pointing to a giant circle of stone that was just above the surface of the water. It had a strange demeanor that gave off an altar-like feel.

"Whatever it is," Maddie said, "it came from the other side."

"That thing? What could it mean?" Ichigo asked incredulously.

"From its apparent appearance, it suggests to me that the portal needs something, like a final ingredient, to open fully."

"Like what?" Rukia inquired.