CHAPTER ONE: THE APPEARANCE OF WILL BYERS

"Should I stay or should I go?"

Four boys were grouped around a large table in the unusually large basement of the Wheeler's house

Four boys were grouped around a large table in the unusually large basement of the Wheeler's house. The four boys were playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons and had been for at least 10 hours.

"Something is coming, something hungry for blood." The dungeon master, Mike Wheeler, began, narrating the game. "A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"What is it?" Will Byers asked, enthralled in the game.

"What if it's the Demogorgon?" Dustin exclaimed, looking frantically between Will and Lucas. "Oh, Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon."

"It's not the Demogorgon." Lucas dismissed Dustin's fear.

"An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Mike shouted, slamming the pieces onto the board.

"Troglodytes?" Dustin asked, disappointed.

"Told ya." Lucas leaned back in his chair, laughing a little, a smirk clear on his face. The other boys join in his laughter, but Mike looked around, a worried look on his face.

"Wait a minute." He whispered, "Did you hear that? That sound? Boom boom boom! That didn't come from the troglodytes. No, that came from something else."

"The Demogorgon!" Mike yelled, slamming the piece onto the board. The other boys groaned.

"We're in deep shit!" Dustin exclaimed, slumping in his chair.

"Will, your action!" Mike yelled.

"I don't know!" Will replied, his head in his hands.

"Fireball him!" Lucas yelled.

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!" He replied, shaking his head.

"Too risky, cast a protection spell," Dustin suggested.

"Don't be a pussy." Lucas rejected the idea, "Fireball him!"

"Cast Protection."

"The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stomps towards you. Boom!" Mike interrupted the small argument, slamming his hands on the table.

"Fireball him!" Lucas shouted.

"Another stomp, boom!"

"Cast Protection!" Dustin yelled.

"He roars in anger!" Mike continued to yell over the top of the argument.

"Fireball!" Will announced as he tossed the dice, a bit too aggressively. The dice rolled off the table and onto somewhere on the floor.

"Oh, shit!" Dustin yelled jumping up from his seat. The three other boys followed his actions.

"Where'd it go?" Mike asked as they separated to find the dice.