Chapter 24 - Recovery

Ruby left the next day. When I woke up there was a note on my nightstand. She told us that she had a wonderful time working with us and that she wished us the best of luck in the future. Ruby explained that too much had happened and she needed a break. She hoped that when she came back we would have recruited new kids onto our team. She even said that we should keep the name Cardinal Guard because it had a nice ring to it.

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't mad at her for just leaving like that, but then again who could blame her? I would have taken the chance if it was given to me, no doubt about it.

It took a week before Aer and I were well enough to be back on our feet for extended periods of time. Tristan woke from his coma after that week. He was blind.

The impacts that he sustained were too severe on his brain, and the last hit that he took with the shockwave finished the job. He had lost his eyesight to protect me and my slow behind.

It took a while before everyone was fully healed; both mentally and physically. Aer's wings were too badly damaged for her to fly for a while, so she elected to stay at the agency and teach her knowledge to people who have abilities like her. She knew that her people would be skeptical as to why she never returned, but Aer said that she had it covered.

Argyle Agency for Powered Individuals was then left without a chief. I was more than happy to step up and run the place, but Sofie said that she could do it. I trusted her.

This left me. I vowed to work with the heroes-in-training at AAPI and teach them the ways of being super. I knew that it would be kind of hard, but I could handle anything that came my way.

Tristan's condition was a needy one. He had to have an assistant with him at all times until he was able to maneuver on his own. I visited him in between training sessions every day.

On one particular day, Tristan wanted to go on a walk. He acted like an old man, but he was really just a high-maintenance guy in his early twenties. I happily obliged because Sofie had just put in a nice park space next to the infirmary for recreational activities.

I linked my arm with Tristan's as we walked up a hill to a shady oak tree at the top. His once bright, hazel eyes were clouded over and now tinted a pale blue. I missed the old color.

Tristan seemed to sense my longing as he turned his head to face me, eyes aimed above my head. "What's up?"

"You're in a much better mood than when you were able to see things," I couldn't help but laugh a little. Tristan cracked a smile but then turned serious again.

"No, really, Zoe, what's the matter? You seem sad." I looked at my feet as we neared the top of the hill. I shrugged.

"I just miss everything. You know, how it was before everything fell apart. It's all so different and I don't think I can get used to it," I sighed. We stopped at the top of the hill under the shade of the oak tree. There was a plaque nailed to the tree dedicated to Miles Malone, Isaac Watts, and Raymond Steele for their bravery.

"You got used to being a superhero and you turned out just fine," Tristan pointed out. When I didn't respond, he put his hands on my shoulders and looked straight at me, but his gaze was distant.

"Look, you're going to be okay. If I can get used to being blind after twenty something years of sight, then you can get used to a couple things being different--hell, better than before. You're one of the strongest people I know, and that's why I love you," Tristan said. I was about to say something snippy back, but then I absorbed the last line.

"Did you just-" I began, but then Tristan smiled a bright smile widely and grabbed my hands, swinging them apart and back between us playfully.

"Yes, I did. I, in fact, love you, Obsidian Spark."

I was speechless. Tristan raised and eyebrow when I didn't reply. He stopped swinging our hands and leaned in next to my ear like he was sharing a secret.

"Come on, please say something. This is getting weirder by the second."

I laughed and wrapped my arms around Tristan's neck, burying my face into his shoulder. With him, I was away from the world for just a little bit. He made me feel like I was sane again, maybe even normal. I pulled back and kissed him tenderly on the forehead.

"I love you back, Ghost Blade."

We sat on the grass, hands linked, until the sun was well into the horizon. I stood up and pulled Tristan with me as the sun gave off its last few rays of light and then sank into the ground.

I surprised the blind boy by kissing him full on. He stood, dumbfounded, in front of me for a second or two before blushing and smiling at the ground. I could swear that as we were walking back, Tristan's feet didn't touch the ground.