Chapter 5 (LEM)

I ran my fingers over the edges of the letter from the preforming arts school, making the edges soft and frayed. I couldn't stop staring at the orientation date. It was tomorrow. Tomorrow, I would begin truly achieving my dreams. Tomorrow, I would also be leaving everything I knew behind.

"Jack," I said softly. He appeared at my side almost immediately. "Something's bothering me."

"I know," he said with a half-smile.

"I..." I choked. I had never imagined myself saying something like this to him. "I'm..."

"Allie," he laughed softly, draping his arm over my shoulders. "You're growing up. Becoming a woman, an independent adult. It was my job to get you there, and I've done it."

Tears were beginning to well up in my eyes. "I know," I choked. "And you kept me from being alone and scared all my life. And I won't be alone anymore, because I'll be making new friends. And I'll still be scared, but I'm excited and I feel ready to take it on all at the same time. But I don't..." I laid my head on his chest. "I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to either." He pulled me into a hug as I began sobbing. "You know, I don't remember my other friends, but I know I'll remember you. Because, somehow, I know... you've been my bestest friend yet."

I laughed at his childish grammar, causing more tears to fall. Looking into his eyes hurt more than ever, because past their brightness, they were sparkling with tears. "But you reset every time you get a new friend. And you can't remember anybody else. Will you really... remember me?"

"Allie," he spoke softly. "I promise. I will remember you."

I held up my trembling hand to show him the bracelet he had made me. The beads were all my favorite colors, in the shapes of my favorite things—butterflies, roses, the sun. He held his up to mine, a simple braided string adorned with star-shaped beads that were every color of the rainbow. Of course, being made by him, mine was much more magnificent in its design, but he always told me that his was perfect as well.

"You'll keep it, right?" I asked. "So you won't forget?"

"Of course, kiddo," he told me, a tear falling down his cheek.

I wiped my face. "Thank you, Jack. For everything. I... wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for you."

"And I'm proud of who you are."

He hugged me one last time, the tightest and bestest hug, before stepping away, taking the box off my bedside table.

"I'll come back one day. Maybe I'll see one of your plays."

I couldn't say anything back, only nod.

"See ya later, Allie."

"See ya," I whispered.

And just like that, he was gone, disappearing in smoke for the last time, taking the box with him.

At that time, there was no doubt in my mind that he would return. We would see each other again. I knew it. But now, that memory was much bitterer now that what had made it so sweet had rotted away.

He never really came back.

----

When I woke up, I was in my bed, as if it had all been a bad dream. But when I saw him standing on the opposite side of the room, I knew that it hadn't been.

My heart pounded as I wondered what I should do. I looked to my bedside, trying to find a weapon or anything to use to get out of this. There was nothing. Nothing at all. Not a nightstand. Not a window. Not anything else familiar. I wasn't even in my own bed.