SABH-3:Party Power

Saturday, 9:35 AM
Serenity sighed, giving her mom a look.
"Mom. I am not wearing a sundress to the cook out."
"But honey-" her mom tried, but another look from her daughter silenced her.
"Mom. I am not wearing a sundress."
Her mother sighed. "Fine. But please wear something nice?"
"Of course."
With her mother out of the room, Serenity took to digging out a pair of vintage shorts and a baby blue tank with a black jean jacket to cover up.
She heard tapping at the window, so she turned to see Caleb throwing pebbles.
"Are you coming over?" He said, once the window opened. "Yeah, I'm getting dressed yah creep" she said, joking. He rolled his eyes.
"Whatever. I'll meet you at the gate."
She nodded, closing the window and quickly changing before grabbing her phone and heading to the gate. Sure enough, there he was.
"Lets go, Luke just got here."
Luke Bennington was the newest addition to the group. He'd transferred in sophomore year and had quickly made a place for himself with them.
Upon seeing them he gave a quick smile.
"So you 2 huh?"
"Yeah"
Caleb wrapped an arm around my waist and as soon as he did so, a shriek was heard as his mother ran out to hug me. "Oh honey! Congratulations! I didn't even know all these years!" She continued to gush over me, and I smiled, bearing it.
After she was done, me and the boys started talking again.
"So Lukeeee" I dragged out. "Any lucky lady?"
He seemed startled at the question and he stared at me terrified before he seemed to comprehend and shook his head.
"No. I do like someone but we're just friends."
"Oh really? Who?"
Caleb chose that moment to drag me away.
"C'mon short stack, lets go mingle and leave the poor boy alone."
I raised a brow but said nothing as he took my hand and led me away.
We mingled with people his parents had invited, which was strange that they'd agree on guests for once.
You see, Caleb and Jacobs parents are divorced, but still living together because of their kids. And somehow everyone's ok with it.
I was being led to another person and when I saw who it was I grinned.
"Rachel!" I squealed as I hugged the small girl.
"Seri!"
Rachel Thomas was a 7 year old who had a permanent place in my heart. She was Calebs cousin and super adorable.
"Seri I can't breatheeee" she complained as I squeezed her.
"You're so cuteeeeeee"
"Stoppppp"
"Noooooo"
Someone cleared their throats and I noticed Jacob staring down at us.
I lifted Rachel to where I was holding her, much to her complaint, and turns to Jacob.
"Yessss?"
He raised a brow. "Whys someone like you dating my brother? You're to good for him-"
"Jeez Jacob, trying to get my girl to leave me already? You only found out 2 days ago."
"And how you managed to keep someone like her for 3 years is beyond me."
"Gee, if I didn't know you, Jac, I would have assumed you liked me."
I smiled, teasing him.
He grinned and gave a knowing smile.
"You know exactly why I wouldn't like you."
And I did.
I knew, but I'd never tell.
The party continued but as I was talking to Luke again, my mom pulled me aside.
She made sure my friends were out of hearing distance before speaking.
"Honey, the doctors called.."
"What's they say?" My Panic levels had jut shot up.
"Well.. there's something strange about last weeks data- don't freak dear! They said they don't think it's serious, they just want to run some tests but we have to leave now."
I turned to my friends, who were laughing at a joke.
I nodded to my mom and walked over to them, putting on my Im So Sorry face.
"Heyyy guys..."
They turned to look at me.
"So, my mom got this call, and so we have to leave like right now, I barely have time to run home and change so.. I'm really sorry"
I smiled sadly and locked eyes with Brit.
She knew what I was talking about.
But the boys didn't.
"Aww that sucks, hope everything's ok."
"Yeah me too. Anyway, I gotta go so-"
Brit pulled me into a hug.
She whispered a few things to me and then let me go, and I turned, running into my house to pull on my long sleeve shirt, sweats and boots.
-------------------------------------------------------
Eyes followed Serenity as she left, but quickly averted. If only she'd turned around, she would've seen the 2 pairs of eyes that followed her from the corners of theirs until they could no longer see her, and neither of them belonged to Caleb.