Guitar Strings

His name was Karry, and he liked to play the guitar. I met him six years ago during my summer break when I got lost inside a forest that was supposed to be a home for spirits, and there wasn't a summer when we didn't see each other.

* * *

"I didn't expect you would come, Karry," I commented, watching him take a seat beside me as I sipped my lemon juice. "What made you change your mind?"

"Mind your own business," he said as he inched way from me to maintain a certain distance.

It had always been like that. He was, after all, a spirit who would disappear forever once he touches human skin. And I told him no matter what the situation I would be in, he mustn't touch me, even if it meant me being injured.

"Want to go to a festival?" he suddenly asked out of the blue.

"A festival?"

"You heard me."

"Sure."

"Then, can you sneak out at ten later in the evening?"

"You'll wait for me?" I asked, looking at him in the eyes.

There was a small pause before he looked at me back and gave me a smile. "Yeah, I will."

And that was that. Sure enough, I did what I was asked to do. I didn't care if Uncle would find out what I was up to because... there was this feeling that was tugging my heart. It made me feel uneasy, but I let it be, and I regret it.

The uneasiness was soon all forgotten once I had taken a bite on a bubblegum pink candyfloss. The sourness of the sweet soon washed away all doubts.

"It's like our festivals!" I exclaimed as I took more bites from the candyfloss.

He stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Well, humans sometimes join and blend in."

That was when the uneasiness returned. It kept bugging me. It was so frustrating. Why now? At that time, I couldn't understand. What was my gut feeling telling me?

And suddenly, a child ran past me. He was almost on the verge of falling off the bridge, but luckily, Karry had grabbed ahold of the child's arm, saving him in time.

But that wasn't all.

The hand that he used to save the child was somehow shimmering. It started to become transparent as if it was turning invisible.

Karry looked at his hand, and then looked at me with a smile. "Come on," he said, opening his arms wide, "I can hug you now."

I hesitated. Can I really? But Karry was already starting to fade. His whole body was now shimmering. But before I could embrace him and feel his warmth, he was already gone.