Chapter Two

"Nagito, where's Junko?" (Y/N) questioned before Nagito stuck another spoonful of oatmeal in her mouth.

The Ultimate Luck stirred the oatmeal a bit and took a bite for himself. "She's got some business to take care of in Towa City with Mukuro and Izuru."

"Izuru's the...the long haired one...r-right?" She asked and Nagito responded with a nod. "I...I feel like I've seen him before...somewhere."

Nagito looked over at her, eyes filled with hope. He fed another spoonful of oatmeal before asking, "What else do you remember?"

(Y/N)'s lips curled downward as she tried to think. "Um...I don't...I don't know."

He looked the other direction, keeping her from seeing the disappointment on his face.

"But...I do remember one thing," she said. "An...explosion...I think. And someone telling me...to stay safe." She looked down at the ground, her memory slowly slipping away. She looked back up at him, meeting his eyes. "I don't remember."

Smiling, he ruffled her hair. "You'll remember soon, kiddo."

She smiled before looking down at the chains wrapped around her body. "Can...can you unlock the chains?" She asked in a whisper. "My arms really hurt."

Nagito frowned. "I-I-" He knew it was wrong to unlock her as he was under Junko's rules, but he knew it was even more wrong for her to stay tied up down here.

He pulled the keys out from his back pocket and began to free her body. The chains fell to the ground with a clunk. But the chain on her neck remained as he had no key for it, only Junko did in case she tried to escape.

(Y/N)'s hands shook as she looked down at her body. Her dirty flesh had deep red imprints with magenta blood here and there. She winced as she tried to more.

"Thank you," (Y/N) whispered as she pulled Nagito into a hug. "Thank you...so much..."

"No problem," Nagito laughed awkwardly. "Anything for the greater hope."

The female pulled back, confused. "Hope? I thought you were all about despair."

Nagito's eyes widened. He had blown his cover. He narrowed his eyes at her. "What about hope? (Y/N), are you feeling alright?"

"But you just said-" She looked him up and down, completely confused. Was she going crazy? "I-...nevermind."

He had to bite his tongue so he wouldn't sigh in relief. It felt wrong to trick the injured and confused girl, but he couldn't risk having his whole operation be blown.

She looked at him one more time before shaking her head. (Y/N) sniffed, climbing on Nagito's lap and burying her head in the crook of his neck.

"Thank you," She whispered against his skin.

The boy raised an eyebrow. "Whatever for?"

(Y/N) squeezed her eyes shut, trying to prevent the tears in her eyes from falling. "Just...thank you," She told him shakily.

Nagito wrapped his arms around her, her breathing became steady and slow. He ran a hand through her dirty hair until she fell asleep in his arms. He planted a kiss on her cold forehead.

He picked her up and rested her head on the pillow he was using the night before. Tucking her in with his blanket, he smiled and headed back upstairs.

* * *

"N-Nagito, Junko w-wouldn't be h-happy if she saw th-this."

"She doesn't know and she won't know. Understand? I just need your help right now."

(Y/N) shifted in her sleep, the blanket moving overtop of her. She shifted so her her back was facing the two Ultimate Despairs.

Mikan Tsumiki bit her thumb nail as she glanced over at the sleeping girl. "This is wrong, Komeada."

Nagito crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at the nurse. "It's even worse to keep her here. So will you do it?"

She looked back and forth between Nagito and the girl. "I'll...I'll do it. Let me just go run upstairs and get some things."

The white-haired boy smiled triumphantly as Mikan retreated upstairs. He walked over to (Y/N) and kneeled beside her.

"Hey (Y/N)," he said softly as he shook her awake. "Wake up."

"Huh?" Her (E/C) eyes fluttered open. She sat up, shaking. "What's going on?" She asked, rubbing her eye.

"I found someone who can clean your wounds," He told her quietly. "She can make you feel better, but you've got to be nice to her, okay?"

"Okay," she replied in a whisper, grabbing his hand. She placed his hand in her lap, messing around with his fingers.

"Ko-Komeada? I've got my supplies. Is she awake?"

(Y/N) craned her neck to look at the girl at the bottom of the stairs. There was a white box in her hands with a red cross on the front.

"Thank you, Mikan," Nagito replied. He looked down at (Y/N), feeling her fingers tighten around his jacket.

"This is Mikan," he said quietly. "She's going to clean your wounds, okay?"

"Mikan," (Y/N) repeated, testing the name out on her tongue. She looked over at Nagito. "Is...is she a nurse?"

"Yes. She's going to help you, but you have to be good for her. I'll be right here with you."

The Ultimate Nurse stepped over to the two, sitting on the concrete next to them. She took one look at (Y/N)'s arms and grimaced.

"I have some cl-cleaner for it," Mikan informed them. "But it's going to hurt."

She poured some liquid on a rag and began to wipe (Y/N)'s arms off. (Y/N) whimpered, her grip tightening on Nagito.

"Who did this?" Mikan asked as she began to wrap gauze around (Y/N)'s wounds.

(Y/N)'s eyes clouded over as she tried to recall. "I-...I don't remember."

After a few minutes, Mikan stopped and looked over her work. "All done."

"Thank you," (Y/N) said.

"No problem." Mikan gave her a small smile. Her and Nagito both stood up.

On her way out, Mikan brushed against Nagito's shoulder. "Junko's coming back earlier than expected. If you want your plan to succeed, you better hurry."

His eyes watched as she exited the room and headed back upstairs. Mikan's words made him pale. He had so little time left to save her.