Chapter 28: Out of the Shadows

A/N:
Well, here it is: the final chapter of TC. It's been one hell of a long journey for me. About three years, to be exact. Three years and half a million(523,307,000) words later, and here we are. I'd like to thank those who have helped me along the way. Christine, Maggie, and Ruby: thank you for your help. You've helped shape this story into what it is and helped me grow as an author along the way. And thank you to everyone who's left me a review along the way, whether offering encouragement, advice, or criticisms. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think of the story. And also thank you to everyone who's still reading, just for sticking with me. Hopefully you'll stick with me for round two as well, which will be picking up right where this leaves off. And without further ado, I give to you...

Chapter 28: Out of the Shadows

Sending one last glare, Harry turned on his heel and strode toward the door, which slammed shut before he could reach it. "We are not finished here, Mr. Potter."

Dumbledore's voice radiated with power.

Very slowly, Harry turned to face his headmaster, who was now standing behind his desk. He said nothing as he met the man's stare. Any hint of the headmaster's genial, grandfatherly image was gone, replaced by the powerful persona that could invoke fear in the heart of even a Dark Lord.

"I need your word that you will cease any attempts to involve yourself in fighting the Death Eaters," the headmaster demanded in a steady voice.

Harry narrowed his eyes. "No."

"Perhaps you misunderstand me," Dumbledore responded. "I was not asking."

"Perhaps you misunderstand me, Headmaster," Harry replied evenly, though it was a struggle to keep the contempt out of his voice. "I am not your puppet. You don't have to like the choices I make, but you will learn to respect that they are my choices to make."

"That's where you are mistaken, Mr. Potter," the man countered, visibly calming himself. "You are still underage. Thus your choices are not your own."

Harry let out a bark-like laugh that held no humour. "You think the Dursleys will try to stop me? If they think it might get me killed, they'll be all for it. Might be the first thing we actually agree upon."

"Your aunt and uncle are your guardians in the Muggle World," Dumbledore replied. "In magical society, however, Hogwarts, and by extension the Headmaster, is granted a form of stewardship over the affairs of Muggle-raised students in the Wizarding World. Given that the Death Eaters are part of the Wizarding World, involving yourself in battles against them falls under my jurisdiction."

"Funny, I just can't bring myself to give a damn," Harry stated.

"Please think this through, Harry," Dumbledore said, walking around the desk. "I do not wish to force you to do anything."

Harry arched one eyebrow in disbelief. "You certainly have a funny way of showing it."

"But I will," Dumbledore continued, not acknowledging Harry's interjection. "If you leave me no other option."

"There are plenty of options," Harry retorted, clenching his fists tightly. "You just won't acknowledge any other than the one you've already chosen. Of course, you never consulted me in that choice, even though it's my life you're playing with."

"Your behaviour right now only serves to reinforce that you are not ready for that responsibility," the Headmaster reprimanded.

"Oh? So let me get this straight: I'm angry that you're trying to dictate my life to me, and to you this means that I'm not ready to make my own decisions?" Harry questioned.