[24] That Night

(WARNING: THIS CHAPTER IS DARK AND GORY AND JUST PLAIN GROSS. READ IF YOU DON'T GET NIGHTMARES *COUGH* BLUEPRINGLEZ)

After leaving the Land of Waves and we were walking back along the path we came through, someone jumped down in front of us from the trees. I prepared for an attack, until I recognized the Leaf symbol on the guy’s headband. My muscles relaxed.

“Kakashi,” the guy said in an official tone, while standing as if in order. “Lord Hokage sent me here to give you a message. He wants you to visit this small village in the Land of Water, since you’re already here, because of a mass murder of the clan that resided there.”

A lump formed in my throat. Oh no, it’s not my village, is it?

“What village is it?” Kakashi asked for me.

“The Aqua Village, sir. It’s a separation of the Hidden Mist Village that was cast off years ago and is now a new village; although, it’s still part of the country, sir.”

The lump tightened. The Aqua Village was my old village! And worst of all, we were going to inspect it!

“Were there any survivors?” Kakashi asked seriously.

“Well, there could possibly be one; it was a woman in her early 20’s who ran away before getting killed. No one has seen her since.”

“What clan is it?” he prodded on.

“The…Kobayashi clan, sir.”

“K—Kobayashi!” I burst out nervously, confusing everyone.

“Tomiko, have you heard of this clan?” Kakashi asked me.

“Um, no, never mind. At first I thought the name sounded familiar…” I muttered. Kakashi turned back to the ninja.

“What exactly are we doing there?”

"You’re going to try and track down whoever did this, but first you need to inspect the site of the murder. All the bodies haven’t been touched, so you can still observe them.”

The bodies…were still there? Does that mean I’ll have to look at them!?

“Argh!” Naruto grunted. “We aren’t detectives! Why do we have to do this stupid stuff?”

“The Hidden Mist Village asked specifically for Leaf Village ninja; they wanted no part in the affairs involving the Aqua Village.”

I clenched my fists. Typical Mist Village…they hated us to the bitter end. That’s why the whole clan longed for a worthy person in the Aqua Village to become the Mizukage to show up the Mist; my brother.

“Alright,” Kakashi nodded. “We’ll head there as soon as you give us directions.” Turning to us, he smiled. “I hope you don’t get sick over many dead bodies everywhere.”

I glanced over at Sasuke, who looked on edge. He glanced at me the same way I looked at him; do we have the same facial expression?

“Sasuke, Tomiko, what’s wrong? You both are looking a bit pale,” Sakura frowned.

Sasuke “hn”ed and turned his head away, sticking his hands in his pockets. “Nothing,” he snapped.

“Mr. Moody Pants probably just doesn’t want to admit that he’s feeling nauseous about those dead bodies.” I smirked at his new expression. “I know I am.”

I was truly. Not because of the reason of a whole bunch of dead people at my feet, but because they’re the people I know. The people I grew up with, the ones I loved and hung out with all those years. I have to look at all their faces again and try to keep a straight face, if possible, so my teammates don’t get suspicious. I can’t guarantee I won’t cry, but I’ll have to try my hardest to do it silently.