2

Jessica eyes were clouded with tears as she drove. It had started to rain over an hour ago and she still sped down the slick roads with a purpose. She couldn't fly because people would recognize her and he would be tipped off of her whereabouts so she drove until she she couldn't anymore.

It was a day later, her phone was long tossed out the window miles behind her. She has never driven cross country before but she wasn't complaining.  She needed the quiet it gave her time to think and thinking was all she did.

Her stomach grumbled and Jessica clenched the steering wheel knowing she'd have to stop to get some food soon. She made a deal with herself that at the next town she would stop and get something. Her mind wandered to all the things that led up to this. The man that she once loved had died and in his place was an evil that needed to be exorcised.

She was in the car for a few more hours when she finally stumbled across a town that read "Clear Water population 400. " Jessie drove into town, surveying the area. She spotted a lot of kids and old folks. She parked in front of a diner reaching in her bag to grab a couple dollars before shutting the door. Hesitantly walking into the establishment.

The bell rung as the woman took tentative steps. All eyes fell on her and she felt her gaze dropping to the floor only lifting it once to see an empty booth. She hugged her purse to her chest shuffling across the diner to grab the empty seat before someone took it.

The brunette sunk into the cushion letting out a sigh.  She had a window seat and often found her gaze trained on outside and the people that were walking past. Everyone here looked so happy and full of life. A feeling that she hasn't experienced in a long time.

A chippy waiter approached jessie with a warming smile. "Hello there ma'am how may I help you?" her southern accent was undeniable.

Jessie fixed her gaze on the fair skinned woman that looked in her mid forties, the name pinned to her shirt read Beverly.

"I'll have a burger and fries. And a milkshake?" Jessie wasn't sure what was on the menu, it sounded like a question and the woman wrote down her order without question walking away quite suddenly.

Jessie sighed as she waited, she played with her fingers. Drumming them against the table. The dried up blood on her knuckles was still visible along with the purple bruised on the left side of  her cheek.

Twenty minutes later the bell to the diner rang just as her food was being brought over. She couldn't help but look in the direction of the door and saw a woman. About 5'3, hat tilted to the side of her head,  deep brown eyes fell on her and the sheriff held her gaze. It was worrying the intensity the woman shot back at her.

It was chilling yet she couldn't find herself pulling away. Before she knew it she noticed the woman coming towards her and she finally broke their staring contest. Face flushing as she stole a fry from her plate plopping it in her mouth.

"May I sit here miss?" The woman asked, which Jessie answer didn't seem to matter anyway because the sheriff was already taking her place on the opposite side.

Her scent was alluring. Like a vanilla mixed with floral breeze. Jessie found herself inhaling it more than she would have liked. Her gaze stayed on her plate as she continued to eat.

"I'm Sheriff Lovato, and I haven't seen you around here where you from?" The woman pried, it was her duty to protect the town and newcomers weren't a normal thing since Clearwater didn't show up on many maps. This was a rare occasion and when she got the call about the woman who showed up bloodied and bruised her concern heightened.

"I'm just passing through." Jessie's voice was hoarse from lack of water and dryness. "I won't be here for long maybe a night."

Sheriff Lovato leaned back in her chair, eyes curiously watching the woman who refused to look at her and said. "Who you running from?"

Jessica froze for the first time since the sheriff sat down. She glanced up at the woman and felt her whole world be rattled as she met the beautiful eyes of  the woman sitting across from her that showed clear concern. "No one, like I said I'm just passing through."

The sheriff scoffed removing her hat placing it on the table. Not believing one word that was coming out of this woman's mouth. She could see the fear that she terribly tried to hide and it was her job to protect and serve and she felt drawn to this woman for some reason.

"You show up in my town, bloody and bruised and you expect me to believe that? That hand print on the side of your cheek says otherwise now I don't know you--.." She started to say only to be cut off.

"Exactly you don't know me." Jessie said fiercely eyes transforming to that familiar rage. "You have no right to assume anything. Its none of your God damn business.  I do not pose a threat to your small town or plan to stay so you can stop acting like you actually care about my well being."

Sheriff Lovato eyes widened at the outburst and all she could do was sit there and take it. Too shocked to utter a single world as the woman took her food, dropping a couple bills on the table before leaving Demi speechless.