The Shadow's Return

(WANG DAO)

I am dead.

That man is a coronel and he knew me. He knew I am General Wang's son and I can identify him and tattle to my father.

He will never let me live. I am suddenly a witness to him betraying the army he served.

The coronel was mad at the men who captured me, "You imbeciles! Do you know who that boy is?! He is General Wang's son! He can tell his father about us..."

"But Sir..."

"The least you could have done is kill the boy and throw him somewhere he won't be found easily by his hound of a father!" The coronel is shouting. "Now, we are all in danger if he tell his father.."

"I won't!" I have to talk to buy time. "I swear, I won't say anything to my father. Please...Sir...let me go." I begged him. The goal is to stay alive.

The coronel sneered at me. He is not as tall or as broad as my Baba but there is a cruel glint in his eyes that is making me scared. "Do you think I will trust you? Let me tell you boy, I hate your father. Pompous arrogant bastard. He became a general just because he was favored by the Emperor and the Crown Prince. Now he trot around the Palace and ordered men who are older than him and served the country longer than him. Your father...is a shame in the army!"

Yes, he hates my father. Because he envies Baba. Tzen's father knew that my sire is far more effective, more superior and more talented as a soldier than him. My Baba's strategy in defending the Palace and the Capital from rebellions and invaders are legendary. My sire will go down in history as one of the celebrated generals of this country while he, this coronel, will be nothing.

I have never been more proud to be General Wang Qing's son than this moment.

I have to keep on talking though. Buy myself more time. "Your plans will never work. The Palace guards are always alert. I doubt if your firepowders are enough to put a hole in the wall of the Palace." I am lying my way through freedom. I have to put doubts on their plan so they will concentrate on that instead of killing me.

"You are lying," the coronel said.

"No, I am not." I denied it. "Tzen must have told you, I have good head when it comes to numbers. I am intelligent. They wasted a barrel while trying to catch me. Your firepowders will not be enough. I am telling the truth..."

"Is it true?" The coronel asked the one guarding me.

The soldier look down and nodded, "This boy's little brother picked up the barrel and throw it at us," he said.

I almost laugh at that. The coronel was livid, "Now, you are lying! This boy's little brother? He doesn't have a little brother. He has a twin sister. A sister! A girl! Not a brother..."

"But he is with another boy..."

The coronel lost his patience and started hitting his men. "Stupid! Imbeciles! A little boy picking up a barrel filled with firepowder? You want me to believe that? He's a little boy, how can he lift a barrel...you morons!"

I silently enjoyed watching him abuse his cohorts.

Then the coronel turned to me. "We lost a barrel of firepowder. That is unfortunate. But no worries, more will come. And before dawn, we will attack the west wall of the Palace and start the rebellion in the Capital. We will overthrow the monarchy and make a new government where the military will control everything,"