Chapter 3: Something to say

The snow was fierce, wind was blowing in your face, but you didn't care, now the real important thing was taking care of your opponent, barely visible in that weather, but you didn't need the sight, you were perfectly able to fight without it, or so you thought until an incredible force pushed you to the ground and brought his sword up in the air, preparing to hit, you closed your eyes, preparing for the impact, but it never came, instead you were able to hear a clang and see the reality fading in many pixels.
"Why did we stop?" you managed to say, still on the ground, through your heavy breaths.
"You're tired, don't lie, I can perfectly see it" the 1st class smirked, offering you one hand to help you get up.
"And you don't lie to me, Genesis, your also tired" you scoffed, getting up ignoring his hand.
The red haired smiled at your behavior and watched you walking towards the exit, but suddenly stopping, you turned around and smiled to him "are you coming?"
He smiled back and reached you.

"The shower is mine!" you exclaimed as soon as you entered Genesis' room.
He rolled his eyes and watched you disappearing in the bathroom. As days passed, you kept getting closer to the red haired spending more time with him and sometimes even training with him, when this happened you used to stay with him after training and to avoid the queue to the shower and save time you used his bathroom.
The water could be heard pelting from the shower head while Genesis was reading on his bed, waiting for you to finish, when at some point his mind wandered to you, he thought how could've been holding you, caressing you, kissing your lips, or even showering with you, he would've also saved so much time, he smiled at those thoughts and felt his cheeks tingle, when he shook his head, as to free his mind from those thoughts, he was well aware of the feelings that you held towards him, you made them clear and 'love' was obviously not included.
You opened the door already dressed up, steam accompanied you as you passed one hand through your wet hair to smooth it back "well, go on" you smiled, throwing yourself on the bed as soon as Genesis got up.
"Don't make yourself too much comfortable" he glared at you.
"I won't" you smiled, adjusting in the bed and closing your eyes, giving out a relaxed sigh.
He rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time and entered the bathroom.
When he got out from the bathroom he saw you fast asleep under the cover of his bed: you fell asleep with your uniform on, but he didn't want to wake you up, so he removed your shoes, dressed up for sleeping and adjusted your form so the both of you could fit in the bed, he then crawled in and hugged you close to his chest.

The next morning you reached your friends to train with them, the memory of waking up next to the heat of the 1st class body still vivid, you never really shared a bed with him, so when you woke up and you found him still asleep, you just grabbed your shoes and sneaked out of his room fully embarrassed.
As soon as you entered the training room the three of your friends you were supposed to meet looked at you and smirked "hey (y/n), where have you been?"
"Uh... preparing for training?" you suggested, darting your eyes from left to right.
"Yeah, sure" said the first one
"But Zack told us that you've been out for all the night" another one winked at you.
You cursed Zack under your breath and rolled your eyes "ehy, I'm an adult woman, I can decide for myself"
"Yeah, she's right guys, now let's get back to work" the last one spoke and you mouthed him a 'thank you'.

"Okay guys, I'm pretty sure you want to stop now, yes?" you smiled, looking at you friends' sweaty faces, well, sweaty might be an understatement as their faces were literally dripping drops of sweat.
"AH! If you think I'm going to surrender to you you're completely wrong!" one of the guys exclaimed, getting into fighting position.
A breathy laugh escaped your lips and you calmly walked towards him, he looked curious at you, but never relaxed, you stopped near your friend and grinned, kicking him in the stomach and sending him flying to the wall "yup, I think you're done!" you smiled again and went to the common bathrooms to refresh yourself.

As soon as you finished you went to the common area to read a book that Sephiroth lent you. You were upside down on the couch, deeply engrossed in the book, when someone called out for you.
"Ehy (y/n)!" you recognized the voice as the friend that defended you earlier: Kunsel.
You stood up straight on the sofa, marking the page with a bookmark and watching him approaching "Ehy" you greeted, a bit fuzzy from the position you were taking earlier.
"I wanted to ask you something" he said, a bit embarrassed.
"Yeah? Go on" you smiled to him.
"Do you want to... uh... go out?"
"Do you mean... like a date?" you asked, a bit surprised by his embarrassment, in fact you and Kunsel were longtime friends and usually if he wanted to take a round in town he wouldn't look so uneasy.
"No, obviously not" your friend laughed, but soon stopped "I-I mean, not that I wouldn't take you out, but-"
"It's okay" you interrupted him with a small laugh.
"Well, what do you say?" he looked at you, looking uneasy again.
"She can't" another voice answered in your place, it was Genesis.
You and Kunsel turned both to him and you jolted upright "did I forgot it?" you exclaimed with your hands on your cheeks.
Genesis gave out a little laugh "yes... again" he now had an expression of reprimand.
"Sorry! I'm still in time?"
"Maybe" the redhead returned to smile to you, this time mischievously.
You gave out a sigh of relief and looked at Kunsel with an apologetic look "Sorry, I think we have to hang out another day"
You hugged him and he returned the hug, a bit more fierce than usual, then, without a word he turned back to exit the common room. You looked him going away and couldn't stop thinking that something was off.
"Shall we go?" the 1st class hugged your shoulders and you nodded, still looking in the direction your friend had gone.
"Yes" you smiled to him and stole another glance at the door, to which Genesis strengthen his grip on you.

"First you're late then you don't even listen to me?" Genesis sighed, snapping his fingers in front of your eyes to gain your attention.
"What?" you jumped, regaining your focus on reality "I was listening" you tried to convince him.
"Oh really? Then what was I saying?" the red haired smirked.
You widened your eyes and let them slowly slip left then right, before looking again to the man in front of you before starting to stutter.
"I knew it" he sighed again "what were you thinking of?" he asked, although he already knew the answer, that's why his question had a bit of an harsh tone.
"Kunsel" you murmured, not paying attention to the tone of Genesis' voice "it's not like him behaving like that" you explained.
"I understand" the 1st class crossed his arms over his chest and leaned on the wall of the corridor behind him "maybe he have to say something to you, something on a... personal level" he suggested.
"What?" you whispered, blushing a bit "I don't think so".
"Yes, maybe it's nothing, maybe he just wanted to spend some time with an old friend" he rolled his eyes, pushing himself from the wall and starting to walk away "if you're so worried go talk to him" he said without even turning around to face you.
You jogged to reach him and searched for his eyes, but he didn't want to look at you "no..." you finally murmured, looking down, still following the 1st class.
At your answer Genesis felt guilty, guilty for making you sad. He gulped the lump in his throat and slowed down his walking pace to a stop, you stopped with him and looked curiously at his face "really" he started, looking directly in your eyes "if you're worried we can cancel our program" he smiled to you, resting his hands on both of your shoulders.
You shook your head and smiled back "I'm sure it's nothing" or so you hoped.

Kunsel was turning in his hands the letter that was destined to you, at that moment he lost every courage he had to give this letter to you, when he saw you walking back to your room from a distance 'now or never' he thought and ran towards you.
"(Y/n)!"
You turned around and smiled to him "hey Kunsel" you spent the time with Genesis hoping that what he had to say wasn't nothing to worry about, but seeing the expression on his face was starting to make you regret not searching for him earlier "is everything alright?" you tried to approach him, but you were blocked by his stretched hand, which was holding a letter.
You tried to look at his face, but he had his head low, so you directed your attention towards the letter and took it from his hand, the envelope didn't have the sender, but only the receiver, written big on the back: you. You opened the envelope and unfolded the text, trying to search for Kunsel's eyes one last time before reading it.
As soon as you reached the final full stop for the second time your eyes started to pool with tears and Kunsel hugged you tight, you didn't respond to the hug, to shock for doing anything, so the boy took the lead:
"I received the letter during my last mission" he whispered, caressing your hair "one boy under the plate gave it to me and fled without spilling even a word"
You nodded on his chest and started responding to the hug, sniffling firstly lightly, then starting to sob louder and louder.
"I'm so sorry, so sorry" Kunsel murmured, as if the fault was his "I wanted to take you outside to maybe soften the blow, but-"
"it's okay" you interrupted him, with a voice muffled by his chest "I'm lucky to have you as a friend" you choked the sentence in your crying.
"No problem darling, everything will be fine" he whispered in your hair.