Chapter 3- Friends and Family

Remember when I said that I didn't have many friends? Truth is, I only have one. That one friend was a person whom I met in a library one day. Her name's Aihara Mei.

Mei's a hyper girl and so I guess it's kinda surprising to find her in the library. If I can recall correctly, she was looking for a book about basketball, a sport which she grew attached to. She even joined the girl's team and is the shooting guard. I don't know much about sports, I prefer staying at home to do some self-revision or read some books. My fitness level isn't too good either. It's interesting how I'm not very fat when I have never exercised by my own will before. Mei says that it's because I'm an ectomorph so I don't have to worry too much about gaining weight.

I did have a few friends in junior high but ever since we graduated, we parted ways and now I only have one who isn't even part of that group. So I guess I really have to thank Mei for sticking by my side.

You know that typical saying that having your crush as your best friend would be the most painful thing? I don't think I have the right to object as I have never been madly in love before but doesn't being your crush's best friend mean that you can get closer to him or her? Isn't that enough to make one happy? Like I mean, if you love someone, then just being with that person is enough isn't it? Why would you want to take it further, doing those things (I'm sure you know what I mean) rather than having fun with each other?

Having friends are definitely a pain sometimes but having friends can also be the best thing in your life. You can experience many joys with them, which kinda makes them like your second family. Like for me, I would definitely LOVE having a second family. My older brother, Hiro's a really nice guy we used to play with each other everyday but he's currently studying overseas. My dad decided to follow him but of course, he can't stay in the same dormitory as him so he lives in a little place which he had rented. It gets lonely sometimes just living with mum especially since she comes home late at night due to work. She works as a hair stylist in one of the shops along the road. She doesn't earn much but it's just enough to support the both of us if she works overtime.

About 3 months ago, I found a job to work in a café which is not too far from mum's work place. Just to help mum with the taxes and stuff. The other bit is profit and for further studies next time. Working is also good for killing time. I mean, I don't have to spend more than an hour to finish my homework, plus revision so I have a lot of time on my hands. On my free days and such, I usually just play the piano at the school or play my guitar, learning some new songs online or play the violin which belongs to Hiro-nii. He left it at home and of course, I ask him for permission before using it.

Mum and I would skype Hiro-nii and Dad when we have the time and when it's convenient for both sides of the family but that's really rare. So I treasure every second and moment of our chats.

I do have a good life I guess, counting out the fact that I have only one friend so far. It's been half of the year and it's kinda obvious that I haven't made much progress with my interacting skills. Not like last time when I could easily talk to others about my feelings and trust them with my secrets. When did I stop being like that? Huh, must be that time when one of my so called friends betrayed me.