01.

eXposed

HER RINGS keep getting twisted around her fingers as she shows more interest in the rusted jewelery than in a social studies lesson. The hours are slow, it felt as almost the time has stopped, but she knows it hasn't. She can see the teachers mouth moving, trying to make the students participate in class.

The redhead was not one to listen to elders ; she thought most of them were all talk who still believe the world was the way it was back in the 'good old days'. She could tell they struggle to accept the fact that they can't handle changes of the world. Though in the end she realized that she has one thing in common with them :

They aren't great listeners.

"Miss Aberra." She looks up from her hands as she takes a quick glance at the teacher, raising her eyebrows, then at the clock on the wall, mentally groaning once she sees the arrows aren't moving. Damn clock is broken.

"Mister Sherman. How you been doing? Heard you got promoted, I'm pumped for you," she smiles as big as she can, making her seem silly or, as Mister Sherman may put it, childish. Small giggles can be heard from students who are now engaged in whats going on in the once silent class.

Debbie's jovial side was well-known. People enjoy that side of her, saying things about her like,

"She's the kind of girl you'd like to have in your weddings to entertain everyone" or "She's the kind of person who gets you birth control so easily without problems it's almost concerning."

She knew she was trusted, that she was entertaining to be around, but she also knew she was only used as a 'friend' you go to when you need a pick-me up, not one you hang out with on regular basis.

For someone who was so known, she felt loneliness more than anything else.

Mister Sherman huffed before breathing out a laugh under his breath. "Yes, yes, well if you don't mind joining this class any time soon, I'd like us all to partake in a talk," he grins sarcastically as everybody becomes glum once more.

"A debate? Again?" A boy beside Debbie expresses dissatisfied.

"Yes, a debate! Well done Patrick!" Sherman exclaims, glad that now everybody will be engaged in his class, whether it was forced or not.

"I don't think thats completely needed, sir. We can always talk about that upgrade of yours, I- we- actually, really want to hear it," Debbie tries to persuade the teacher as she looks around the class, making eye contact with everyone wide-eyed, seeing them all notice what she's doing, nodding in agreement. "We wouldn't want to miss that for the world, not even Iron Man would and that man is a very busy one-"

"Alright!"

Sherman claps his hands as loudly as he can to silence the blabbering girl and bring the attention back to him. She wasn't pleased by how she got interrupted, scrunching her nose in annoyance. "Anyone got any topics?"

A brunette with round glasses raises her hand up.

"I read an article about mutants and how there might be a new law to experiment on those who have the x-genes-" she says, unsure if she was right to bring up a subject that is hotly debated these few years, but oh boy, was it a good debate topic, Debbie thought. "Or something like that..."

"Wait. What? Are you sure? They can't do that, can they?" When a boy begins to listen to what his classmate just said, he begins to sweat in his seat.

Debbie looked at him, sure this was vital to him, and he seemed to take it personally. 

She didn't have strong feelings about the ones with superpowers ; she thought they were the coolest people to walk the earth. They should be admired, not experimented and monitored on.

"Poor Luke, ain't your cousin a mutie or something like that? Must hit home," some laughs were heard from classmates, many looked down on mutants and those who were related to one.

It was a crime in their eyes.

"Ain't your sister getting quite close with your best friend behind your back? Must suck, knowing you'll be seeing little Tommy's in the future on Sunday brunches," Debbie talks back at him, ready to protect the nervous boy. He looks at the girl, thankful that she stood up for him, nodding her way in gratitude. She nods back with a smile.

She turns back in her seat once she believes the asshole won't open his mouth again, seeing that he is too preoccupied with sulking and glaring at her, "why does it even matter if one is a mutant or related to one? We all bleed the same color, that's how humans are. They are human beings. And if you don't think it's disgusting how much they get degraded like they're animals then you're the problem in this situation. Besides what they can do is out of this world, I mean, can you lift a house with your mind? No, but they can. And that should be looked upon instead of down, you guys are just bunch of pricks, am i right or am i correct Strucker?"

Evryones attention goes to the brown haired boy, who seems to be crouching in his seat, not very confident in himself. The moment she looks his way, she regrets bringing his name. He looked horrible, his underbags showing vividly. He hasn't slept in weeks.

Off-guard, he glances once he hears his name. He sees her, and there she is, her face loosening. It isn't as scrunched as it was earlier, he thought. To his own surprise he spoke without thinking,

"It doesnt matter if you like them or not, your opinion wont change anything."

He expected her to be angry with his answer, but she looked at him proudly, much to his dismay.

She nods in acknowledgement. "Neither agreed nor disagreed. I think I'm getting somewhere with this."

He hadn't expected any of this, getting included in some stupid talk, but for that split second when they locked gazes, he wasn't as annoyed as he had been for weeks. He felt in a way, understood when she grinned. In only one look, she persuaded him that what he's going through is probably just puberty.

"Oh!" She averts her gaze, her face flushed with delight as her eyes gleam with excitement. "I can go on and on about this; I also wrote an essay about it that I'm very proud of-" When looking for the sheet, she is once again interrupted, this time by the school's speaker. "May Andy Strucker please come with his belongings to the principals office, thank you."

Everyone once again looks at him like he's a gallery portrait, or an animal in a cage, he couldn't tell the difference. He gets up and packs his belongings quietly, almost as if he'll be noisy he'll get called for it.

He hears a lulling sound softly speak to him as he gets up and heads past the tables to the exit.

"I'll see you around."

Even as he exits, perplexed that a girl said something such as a 'I'll see you around'  to him, the class is deafeningly quiet.

"Well then. Anyways as i was saying..."  Sherman sighs as she begins her talk all over again.

Class didn't go as planned.