Chapter 16

Erik's POV:

    I couldn't do anything but stand there in awe. Of course, I already knew she would pick me, but I'm still awed by her gracefulness.
     "WHAT! WHAT'S THE MEANING OF THIS! MAXON HAS ONLY EVER LOVED YOU, EVEN AFTER YOU SAID SOME HORRIBLE THINGS! AMERICA, I WANTED TO SEE YOU IN MY OFFICE, IMMEDIATELY!"
      "No, father, come on. You don't have to do this right now. She's made her decision, let's leave it at that."
     Spoken like a real king, Maxon looked at our father with a look saying this is done being discussed. Sure, I admire my younger brother, I even look up to him, or should I say down. I chuckle softly to myself.
"You think this is funny Erik? You think just because America chooses you that it's funny to see father act like this? You're a menace, to me and I'm sure to everyone."
"No, it wasn't even like that. I was laughing at a joke I made in my head."
"Yeah, well you can laugh while you pack tonight."
"What did you mean pick tonight?"
"I mean, you and America is leaving the palace tomorrow morning."
"Maxon, you can't be serious." Mom said.
"Well I am. I'm sure they would love to have separate time away from us." As he said that, he looked America straight in the eye."
"What if they don't? They could stay as long as they want."
"Mom, let them celebrate themselves as a couple. Oh, and your welcome." He says the last part looking at me now.
"May I ask for what?"
"You found love because of me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go uh work."
"Maxon, son, take the day off, you deserve it."
"Uh thanks father, but no. A king-to-be, should not take days off. Goodbye." Then he fast walked down the grand hall. Once all of the paparazzi leave, mom and dad soon leave too. I watch America walk over to me with a sad smile on her face.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing. Hey I wanted to tell you that Maxon didn't really mean what he said. He's just jealous that you get me instead of him. And I lo- I like you."
"Well, I hate you." She looks at me stunned before turning away. "I'm kidding , how could I hate you, when I can't get enough of you."
We both laugh.
     "Do you think I still have to go to your father's office?"
     "I'm not sure, but I wouldn't chance it. If you want I'll go with you."
    "No, I have to be mature about this and go myself."
   "Call for me if you need me."
   "Ok, but I highly doubt it."

Maxon's POV:

    How could she do this? After last night. I know, she felt it. It was like an invisible string pulling us together. Is this a joke? It must be. She even said last night that the kiss felt right. Was I too pushy. No, that can't be it. She said she loved me. Wait, was that the dream? I can't remember. I just know, that deep down, she's regretting her choice. Maybe if I can convince her....no that'll never work, she's too stubborn. I have to find a way to show her that I love her.
     Once I reach my bedroom, I star to cry softly. What did I ever do wrong? I promised her. I told her I loved her. I want a real relationship, not a fake one. I want a girl to love me, for me, not just because I'm the prince. America was the only one that got to know the real me. I'll probably just have to hold another Selection. No, I can't do that, the people of the monarchy would think I'm weak. Gosh!!! I need someone to vent to, but unfortunately all of the selected went home today. She was the only one for me, the only one that balanced me out perfectly. A small noise makes me look up from my lap. I see my broth- Erik standing in the doorway.
     "What do you want." I say outing my head back down so he couldn't see my tears.
     "I'm so sorry Maxon, I know how much you loved her."
     "No, you didn't, because if you did, you wouldn't have stole her from me. I honestly thought that we could've gotten close and been happy brothers, but apparently not."
    "Maxon, I didn't do anything wrong to you. She ch-"
     "Just stop. I don't want to hear your excuses. Why did you even come here? Why are you here? What do you want from us?"
     "I just a family."
     "You had one."
     "A real family. One that I'm actually related too. I wanted to get to know my real mom and dad and even siblings if I had some. How was I supposed to know that my parents were the king and queen and my only brother was prince."
     "You shouldn't have come here. I was in the middle of a Selection. If it wasn't for mom and I wasn't so generous, you and America would be canes or possibly killed for treason."
     "You're bluffing."
     "Am I? How about you ask America what happened to Marlee, her best friend."
     "Why are you being like this?"
     "Why did you steal the one girl I love?"
     "For the last time, I didn't steal her."
     "Get out of my room."
     "Fine, oh and by the way, we are leaving in the morning. See you tonight Maxon." He closes the door with a stupid looking smile.
    That's it! Maybe if I show America my crooked smile she loves, maybe that'll make her rethink her decision. Ugh, it won't work, she's just so stubborn. My stubborn America, I like that. Ahh, I'm going nuts, I need someone to talk to, and I know he perfect person.

America's POV:

        As I sat down in the chair in King Clarkson's office, I start thinking what would happen in my new life. Would Erik and I's relationship even work out? How many kids would we have? Where are we going to live? Erik wants to leave early in the morning so he wouldn't have to see Maxon, little does he know I don't think Maxon sleeps. Every time I see him at night, he's always in a suit wide awake with a cup of coffee. Maxon. I stop thinking about Erik and I and think about Maxon. His perfect brown eyes, silky dirty blonde hair, the way his crooked beautiful smile. I'm going to miss him. A lot. Thinking back, Maxon and I had had a lot of amazing memories, ones that no one in their right mind could replace. I find tears in my eyes but before I could blink them away, King Clarkson walks in.
      "Regretting your choice already huh?"
      "No, i- my allergy's are just malfunctioning."
     "Sure. Next thing you know your eyes are going to be sweating."
     "Haha, funny. You said you wanted to see me, so here I am."
     He sat down and looked up at me. I could tell he was sad by the look in his eyes. "Listen, America, I don't know if you know this but the whole time, I've always wanted you to win Maxon's heart. And you did, but he didn't win your's apparently.  What happened? You loved him and he loved you, why did you choose Erik?"
     "Erik understands me."
     "SO DOES MAXON!"
    "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, I'VE EXPLAINED IT ONCE, IM NOT EXPLAINING IT AGAIN."
     "PLEASE! For crying out loud, help me explain why you don't want to be with Maxon."
    "I DON'T WANT TO BE HURT AGAIN!"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Ever since I came to the palace, I've had a heart attack, I've suffered memory loss and other things. I just don't want the same things to keep happening to me. I don't want to be with Aspen because I'm sure he and Lucy are soon to be together, and I just want something new. Erik is new."
    "So you were using my son, and as soon as you want to try something new again, you're going to dump Erik. I really tried to give you a chance you know. I've tried to change my ways towards you, but you just now confirmed my suspension."
    "That's not what I-"
    "Get out of my office."
    "Fine, oh by the way, we are leaving in the morning. See you tonight King Clarkson." I get up and close the door with a stupid smile.

Hey👋🏽
We can definitely tell Maxon and the king have the same temper😬
How'd you like the chapter? 🤔
Don't forget to comment and vote😘