Chapter 15

Today, I rush to the window that looks out to the park, checking if there're people out. Sadly there are.

I text Forest that I'm not going to run and that if he wants to meet me, to go to the library. My mind, for some reason,  brought me back to yesterday on the park.

Shit, I think. I forgot to mention Rayne.

My phone vibrates with a text back from him.

I'll go to the library.

I text back a great. I found a granny smith apple and eat it on the way to the library. My eyes bulge out when I see Rayne by my locker. It was only her. I ignore her and unlock my locker.

"What's up with you?" She asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask back after she doesn't leave.

"You really want to be Forest's rebound girl?"

"What are you talking about?" I question, emptying my backpack and refilling it with my "2nd half of the day" things.

"Stop playing dumb with me. I've seen you with Forest several times. I'm just trying to save you. You know he's a player. He's been a player since 5th grade."

I slam my locker shut and immediately lock it. Heading to the library, she stops me by grabbing my backpack.

"Okay," I say. "What do you want? If you want Forest, then take him." I choke on my own words. "I don't care." My hand involuntarily spreads out. "We are not together. We are just friends."

She smirks but immediately pulls it down. "I don't want him. I just... want him and me to be better friends than before."

"Oh, fuck up. Everyone knows that you want to fuck him. Everyone." All I want is for her to be mad, aggravated, annoyed.

"I. Do. Not!" She shrieks with the highest pitch that probably caused a crack on glass way back to the Titanic.

People from all classes rush to the situation. Since Rayne's still holding my backpack, I pretend to be the weak one. My hands are placed on my head, covering my face.

"What's happening here?" My homeroom teacher, Mr. Remmuld, with his big bulging nerves on his nose popping out, loudly questions.

Rayne examines her place in the problem, with her Asian-Mexican eyes wide, drops my backpack. I stumble to the ground and wince.

"Well?" Mr. Remmuld demands.

"She--" Rayne starts with a point at me.

Someone holds my elbow, helping me up. There's leather, again. I see leather.

Cam looks me in the eye as he helps me up.

The whole universe become quiet as I stare back at him. So he's not offended by yesterday? Apparently not. The noises come back with his voice filling my ears.

"Are you okay?" He's worried, I can see. He looks over me for anything that might hurt.

"Yeah," I assure him, with a smile. "Thanks."

Forest steals me and assures me, also.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He hugs me tight like I'm injured. "She didn't hurt me or anything."

"She better not have," they say, unexpectedly, together.

---

"What happened, Ms. Vera? With you and Ms. Pond, I mean." Mr. Scillon, our main principal, asks.