ELEVEN

It's been about two weeks since my birthday. My mom got me a car which means I'm no longer the leech in the back of Jazmine's car. Her buying me a car was sort of like my rite of passage into my own freedom, me finally accepting that I'm slowly becoming an adult and in a couple of months I'll be graduating from high school and heading to college. It's crazy to think of how much things will change in the next few months. PRETTYMUCH is picking up very fast, so I doubt that Brandon will be going to school anytime soon. I, on the other hand, don't have that option. I applied for a couple schools, all of them in California because even though I hate to admit it, I really like it here. Hopefully some good letters start coming soon because it's already December and everyone's getting early acceptance letters and I have yet to get anything.

Speaking of December, Brandon's birthday is like two weeks and I know he wants to celebrate it. I know he hasn't seen his mother is so long and he's been talking about how much he's missed her, so I've decided to fly her to LA so she can see him. It doesn't compare to what he did for me, but it's something small and meaningful and I know he'll love it. His mother is so excited to see him, to meet me, to spend time with us. I'm excited for it too. Brandon knows I'm playing something for him, but I made everyone swear not to tell him.

He keeps pestering me though, even today as I'm standing at my locker. He obviously doesn't like surprises and it makes me happy watching him on edge all the time.

"Seriously, Leilani." He says, "I know you're planning something big for my birthday. Just tell me what it is."

"No." I reply laughing, "Its a surprise."

He grabs my hand as we walk down the hallway, "Ugh you know I hate-"

"Brandon? Brandon Arreaga?" He gets cut off from a voice coming behind us. We both turn around to see a girl standing about two feet away from us. She's very pale with shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes with hints of green in them. They run to each other and hug. "I knew it was you!"

"Charlotte, what the hell are you doing here?" He replies casually as if he already knows who she is

"My mom decided to move here." This Charlotte answers, "I wasn't expecting you to be at school though. Everyone back home thought that you would be homeschooled, you know with your boyband and all."

"Simon insisted we finished off our last year."

His behavior around her shifts. He's more comfortable, as if he knew her for years. Obviously she's from his town otherwise she would've never mentioned what people thought of him back home. They make really good eye contact as they speak and she's definitely comfortable with touching him. It makes me uncomfortable seeing how comfortable they are with each other. Of course it could be completely innocent, nothing more than childhood friends. But I know girls and I know that most girls cannot be just friends with guys. I walk up behind Brandon and grab his hand, clearing my throat.

"Charlotte, this is my girlfriend Leilani." He says, "Leilani this is Charlotte. We went to school together back in Texas."

Charlotte sticks out her hand, "Nice to meet you, Leilani."

I shake it, "Lani is fine. Nice to meet you too."

We stand there uncomfortably for a few moments until Charlotte breaks the silence, "Well it was nice seeing you, Brandon. We'll catch up later."

"Yeah. You have my number." He says nonchalantly, "Shoot me a text sometime, stranger."

I raise my eyebrows at the way he said "stranger". I'm sure there's nothing to it, but it just came off a little more flirtatious than he probably meant it to come off. He can sense that something is wrong with me, but he doesn't ask. I give him a quick kiss before I head into class and he walks down the hallway looking back at me ever so often.
------

"And he told her to shoot him a text cause she had his number and she was being a stranger." I say telling Jazmine, Sofia, and Edwin about what happened earlier today. Brandon was supposed to meet us, but never did.

"He said all of that while you were there?" Jazmine asks and I nod, "That's no bueno."

"Charlotte is his childhood friend." Edwin says, "Like his best friend so seeing her probably made him feel good."

"She's his best friend?" I ask, "Oh hell no."

"Guys and girls can be friends." Sofia says, "Look at you and Edwin."

"Me and Edwin tried to date." I laugh, "And then realized that it was a no go."

"But you're friends. And you've always been." She says, "Give him the benefit of the doubt."

As she says that Brandon walks up... with Charlotte with him. "Hey guys, sorry I'm late. I wanted to show Charlotte around the school."

Charlotte introduces herself to everyone and then sits next to Jazmine. Brandon sits next to me and kisses my cheek. I smile and grab his hand. I try to make small talk with Charlotte. If she's his friend, she could be my friend too.

"So Charlotte, how are you liking the school so far?" I ask. Maybe they can just be friends, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now.

"Its nice." She replies, "A lot different from my school back home."

"California is a lot different from Texas." Jazmine says, "Must be nice walking down the street and running into Rihanna."

"I have yet to do that, but it will be amazing." Charlotte laughs, "Right now I just deal with mediocre stars like Brandon Arreaga from PRETTYMUCH."

"Hey, when we blow the fuck up, you're gonna be taking that back." Brandon laughs

"We'll see raisin head." She laughs throwing a raising from her trail mix at him.

He laughs and throws it back at her. Watching them interact makes me uncomfortable and I know that I'll have to keep my eyes on her. She likes Brandon just a little bit more than a friend and that is not okay with me.

--------
A/N:

Hey, dropping in again cause this is a very important chapter. If you don't know, Charlotte is Brandon's girlfriend irl so I thought it would be interesting to include her in the story to stir up the pot and add a little more drama. As much as I hate to admit it, I love Brandon and Charlotte together irl. That being said, if they break up, I won't be too bummed out cause that means Brandon is back on the market and maybe I can shoot my shot. 😏 No I'm just kidding haha. Anyway, the next chapter is gonna be fucking good. Thanks for reading y'all.

-Dee