XVI

Two weeks later, Joker woke up to find Margaret was gone. His clothes were washed and put away and his food was waiting on the bench to be heated.

He stood from his bed and felt paper crumple beneath his foot, he picked it up and found it was a letter, in a child like handwriting.

Dear Mr Joker,

Thank you for letting me live here with you, I really enjoyed the time we had. I tried my best to make sure your place will stay clean for as long as possible.

I have also filled up your freezer with plenty of pizza.
I must, with no pleasure, leave you, as they have proof of my continued life. I therefore will figure out a way to remove you from this equation. Until then, I will remove myself from your life to protect your home. I hope you are not angry with me.

Lots of love
Margaret
P.S. I ate all the candy, except the caramel swirls, enjoy.

He chucked the paper on the ground and sat back on the bed. He was speechless, she had left him to ensure they did not track her back to this place. What would she do? Without him, she was a child lost in a themepark. She couldn't fend for herself, not really.

He got changed and was about to leave, but decided to first turn on the TV.

"...and so it has been confirmed that the blood of Margaret Townsend has been found on a knife belonging to The Joker.

Margaret, a twenty-six year old woman who had been prosecuted for the murder of her parents two years ago, was sentenced to Arkham Asylum, and is thought to have helped The Joker escape the institution. She had been presumed dead, but the blood found on Joker's knife is less than two years old, meaning she may still be alive.
If you have any information on her wher-"

Joker turned the TV off, threw the remote and left.

Meanwhile.

Margaret had been watching the news every morning since that night, and finally it paid off. She left before dawn, keeping to the shadows as she went.

She had spent the passed two years hiding from anyone who might recognize her, using her facial disfigurement as a distraction. Her hood covered from her nose up. People would see her mouth and look the other way, making it almost too easy to go unnoticed.

She was upset at what she had to do, she had enjoyed having a place to sleep and clean, she would not get to continue doing so after her next move.

Margaret had spent the early hours of the morning covering her tracks along the way from Joker's hide out.

After her evidence would be mixed up in the masses, she took alleys and back streets to arrive at her destination, her old house.

She still had the key, though she did not need it. No one would buy it after what had happened there, it became abandoned, the only residents were critters and vandals. The walls graffittied with "murderer," "monster," "weirdo" and so on. She paid no heed to the vandalism, climbing the steps, all those memories, buried deep, began to surface. She kept her eyes down, walking quicker the more she remembered.
She entered the kitchen, found a pot, filled it with water and started making a fire.

Joker had taken the sewers, trying to remember which way Margaret's house was. He saw the hand buzzer, rusted now, and knew he was close.

"This is it, this will be how we hid, and it will hide the scars of the smile we made for him." She had removed the stitches, the slits opened as she spoke.
'So we never get to see him again?'
"I am afraid so."
'Are you sure this will work?'
"Do you have a better plan?"
'No... I am going to miss him.'
"We can not risk it. The water is starting to boil now."
"I am going to miss getting my head scruffed. Just like Dad did, before he hated us."

The water was now bubbling hard. She lifted it above her head. "Okay. Five, four, three, two..."
She was beginning to tilt the pot when a cold hand was placed over hers.

"I don't hate you Lollipop." He stated, placing the pot down and scruffing her hair.

"We are sorry." She stated, standing up, before quickly grabbed the pot, but she slipped on water she had spilt earlier.

Joker caught her, the water splashing on the ground with the 'clang' of the pot.

His arms wrapped around her as he kissed the top of her head. She hugged him back and began crying. Holding her head to his chest until she had finished, she quickly dried her eyes and began laughing. They left the house leaving the fire to burn, later hearing the house had burned down.

-

It was obvious she could not stay a secret from now on, so she became his sidekick. Ensuring nothing was left at scenes and obtaining secrets without being noticed. She was his right hand man.

Her name was The Scarlett Squeeze, as everyone assumed she was Joker's 'woman,' and she was a natural at getting people to talk. Chemicals like bleach definately helped.

A lady by the name of Harleen Quinzel had caught Joker's eye the last time he was in Arkham, and Margaret was more than happy to have another friend.

-

Any thoughts, edits or other ideas, please let me know. Thanks for reading, have a lovely day!