it's time to come clean

Eddie's POV

"The quarry last week was fun, and the rice worked for my watch. Thank you so much, (y/n)." I had the phone squeezed between my shoulder and cheek as I spoke to her. Luckily, I had a landline in my room, and so did she.

Her laugh crackled through the reciever. "That's great! I'm glad I could help." I could practically hear her smile through the phone, and that made me smile too. Seriously, still got the hots for her? Too bad, she probably thinks you're lame.

"Yeah, you really did. Anyway, um... I was gonna ask if you wanted to go to the quarry again soon? We don't have to swim-" She cut me off.

"Sounds good Eds. When?" She used the nickname I hate. But funnily enough, I loved it when she called me that.

I thought for a moment. "Today? At noon?" That gave us half an hour to get there. Good. I can dress up a little.

She was quiet for a couple seconds. "Noon sounds good." Her voice sounded troubled. Was something wrong at home? "I might be there early."

I frowned. "That's fine! Don't worry about being on time." I hesitated. I wanted to ask what was wrong. "Are you... feeling okay?" My voice was shaky. Nervous.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah I'm totally fine. Just... looking at these birds outside my window." Liar. You're upset. I didn't pry. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh, uh... your voice sounded sad." I mentally face-palmed myself. Idiot, idiot, idiot. "As long as you're not actually sad...?"

She sighed. "I'm okay. Although, we should probably get up and get ready." A small laugh reached my ear. Good.

I glanced at my now fixed watch. 11:40 am. "Oh, yeah! I'll see you in 20!" I slammed the phone into it's cradle and leapt from my bed. Fuck, I don't have time to shower now! I can't believe I've done this.

(Y/n)'s POV

I got up after hearing the phone go dead. Yesterday, I had laid out a nice pair of shorts and a cute, but comfy t-shirt. So I wore that. I only lived 5 minutes by bike away from the quarry, so I had time. What to do? I wandered into my bathroom attached to my room, where I kept my beauty supplies. I didn't own much makeup or hair stuff, but I had enough to dress up for special occasions. So, I picked up my tube of mascara and swiped it on my top lashes. Then my alarm clock beeped. It was 11:55. Time to go.

When I got to the quarry, I sat at the edge of the jumping cliff. 7 full minutes passed before I saw Eddie coming from the trail that led here. He smiled.

"I'm so sorry! I lost track of time, and my mom-" He was overthinking.

"Eds it's fine." I chuckled at his worrying. Those 7 minutes gave me time to calm down after my fear kicking in when he asked me to come here. He's falling for me. FUCK. Abort! Fears are stupid.

"It's fine, yeah. I'm... still sorry you had to wait." He sat next to me, eyes sparkling in the sun. We looked down at the water. "So..." He trailed, not sure how to start the conversation.

"So, why are we here?" I figured there was a reason, so why not ask right away? "Anything specific?" Don't torture the poor boy, he doesn't know you're terrified. If it wasn't for my self control, I'd be shaking.

He looked over at me, scanning my face. I smirked, raising an eyebrow. He thought for a moment, inhaled to speak, and hesitated. His lips were slightly parted- NO. FEELINGS ARE DANGEROUS. His eyes were wide and thoughtful- (Y/n), stop. You know you can't do that.

"I-I just wanted to hang out with you. That's all." His eyes said something different. They had a dim glow, suggesting a deeper meaning behind 'hanging out.'

I made a face that said: "Really? Is that all?" He looked guilty of something. "We could've hung out at my house. Instead of being out here with the bugs and dirt." I tried not to sound rude.

His eyes changed, now they were excited. "Would you rather go back there?" He licked his top lip quickly, seeming eager.

I instantly regretted mentioning that. Now look what you've done. "We can. It beats being in the gross, sticky heat." I stand, and Eddie does too. We walk to our bikes and mount them like mighty steeds. "Follow me." I pedal away, he follows.

We arrive at my house and lean our bikes against the porch banister. Heading in, I notice my parents still aren't home. Oh well, fuck them anyway.

"You have a nice house (y/n)." His voice drifts to my ears from behind. He sounds like he's never been inside someone else's home before.

I let out a small laugh, turning to look over my shoulder as I lead him to my room. "It's alright, considering I'm the only one here most of the time. It's quiet." I open the door to my bedroom, and we enter.

"It's just you? Where are your... woah." As he enters my room, he sees all the drawings, quotes, posters, and other various decorations on my walls. "You have a lot of stuff."

I glance around. "Huh. I guess I do." I shrug and plop down on my bed, kicking off my shoes and socks. "So, what now?" I notice my heart beating faster than usual. I'm sitting in my bedroom with a cute boy. What did you say? Cute? Stop. My brain warns me. Cute. Pushing it.

He sits next to me, not too close, but not very far either. "Well, I... wanted to talk to you." He gulps, glancing around, avoiding my eyes. "About something... important." He finally looks me in the eye, and his are filled with tension.

I tense. HE'S IN LOVE WITH YOU. My mind screams at me to get out, to run. But I'm frozen in my spot. I can not escape. "S-Sure... what's up?" My voice come out higher than usual, almost panicked.

He notices, but continues. "I wanted to tell you something, because I think it's time to come clean..."