Part 1 - Zuko

Azula's remark keeps echoing in my head. 'If the Avatar is alive'. I know he is. That water bender showed me the spirit water. She would've been able to heal him. But, do I want him dead? The correct answer is yes; the truthful answer is no.

No, I don't want the Avatar dead. I want my father dead. I want the world to be peaceful again. I want my uncle to be able to open his tea shop in Ba Sing Se. But I want things that are only possible if the Avatar wins this war.

But what can I do? Even when I'm the Crown Prince of the Fire Nation I'm powerless. My bending skills have improved but I'm no match for Azula, let alone Father. If only I had Uncle... but he hates me now.

However powerless I am as Crown Prince, I have even less power as a commoner. Unless... as a spirit! No one knows who I truly am. Spirits are worshipped and regarded as mysterious, powerful creatures. If a spirit, say the Blue Spirit, was seen going against the Fire Lord, it could slowly turn the nation against itself. A weight off the Avatar's shoulders.

But first I need to disappear. Permanently. In other words, I need to die. Or, Crown Prince Zuko does. If I walk down any back alley I'll find a dead body (that's how bad the city has fallen into despair under my father), I can dress the body in my clothes and then burn everything beyond recognition.

*******************************

I watch the flames. They dance and embrace like lovers would. The body was easy to find. Dead as an air bender... maybe I should stop using that proverb. The stench made me sick but I got it to my rooms. I made sure he was burnt until he wouldn't be recognised. With a pack carrying the absolute minimum and Dao swords strapped to my back, I pull the Blue Spirit mask over my face and escape the city through the shadows.

UNKNOWN P.O.V.

I watch with silent laughter as Zuko runs through the streets. I should tell the Fire Lord, but where's the fun in that? I watch him pull the mask on and I know. He's deserting the Fire Nation. Oh Zuzu, didn't you know I hate traitors more than anything else? What will Mai think?

ZUKO

Just before I leave the city I realise I have to visit Uncle. Though he may hate me I don't hate him. If I tell him my plans he may offer some wisdom to my plans. He can keep a secret even though I want everyone to think I'm dead. Everyone but him.

Even if it's a risk I double back to the city. When I reach Uncle's prison I set fire to a near by bush causing a distraction that the guards rush to. I slip back to Uncle's cell. He sits there facing the wall as if he knew it was me approacing.

My voice is raspy with a slight husk, "Uncle, I..." I falter.

"I'm leaving the Fire Nation. I know the Avatar's still alive. Katara... water bender... spirit water... it's compliacated. But he's alive and I'm going to help him. By tomorrow I will be announced as dead, like I want. But I also want one person, you, to know I'm alive. What my father is doing is wrong, even if I didn't see it at first. You've known all along, you've tried to guide me me down the right path but I ignored you and now I feel terrible. But I'm going to make up for it. If you could possibly forgive me, in anyway at all, I ask for your wisdom and your companionship." I finish my speech with a hopeful glance at Uncle.

He turns and smiles at me, "It is not my time to leave this cell so I will not leave with you. However, this is my advice: the White Lotus is always open to those who share her secrets. Now go! You've wasted enough time on an old man like me."

With one last smile from Uncle, I creep through the city to my destiny, my freedom, my honour.