Part 7 - Katara

Twins = 5

"Mommy, why don't we have a daddy?" Asks Ursa, Kai standing next to her.

"Well," I remember what I planned to tell them when this day came, "Mommy and Daddy used to live a very dangerous life and when Mommy found out she was expecting you two she decided that she needed to find a safe place and settle down."

"Why hasn't Daddy come to find us then? The war is over now, we learned about it in school today." Ursa looks up with her big golden eyes. Zuko's eyes.

"Mommy and Daddy had a very big argument and Daddy has a very important and dangerous job so we're waiting." I explain carefully.

"If Daddy says sorry then can he come back?" Kai asks.

"I hope so baby, but Daddy is very stubborn and doesn't like saying sorry. If he does I promise you two will be the first one's I tell."

Twins = 7

"How were your bending classes today?" I ask as Ursa walks in. She grunts in reply and I know something's wrong.

"What is it?" I probe gently.

"The other students all hate me and Master Sen Ti is always annoyed at me just because I find what we're doing so easy." She sighs.

I pull her in for a hug, "You come from a long line of powerful fire benders, of course you find setting your fist aflame easy. You've been doing it for two years!"

"But... Mom, you're a master water bender and can Kai personally. I just want... It doesn't matter. I'm lucky to have what I'm given and shouldn't ask for more." She hangs her head.

"Ursa, you are wise beyond her years and so selfless. I know someone, an old friend, who could train you personally. But he's hard to contact and an even harder teacher." I whisper.

Our hut grows warm with her excitement as she nods. "Now go find your brother, he needs to do some training as well."

She runs out and I grab a scroll. I explain my situation and how my daughter needs the same training as his previous student. I don't sign it but instead seal it closed with ice. I call over our messenger hawk and tie on the message.

"Take this to General Iroh." I say.

Spring of that year

The man steps off the boat and looks around carefully. He's searching for someone impossible. Someone he knows to be dead. He's searching for me.

I follow him to our meet up point, an old fountain., and then reveal my presence by returning water to it.

"You know you could've just spoken to me rather than following me all the way from the docks, Miss Katara." General Iroh turns to face me.

"I wasn't sure if you had brought company and I would like to continue my life as I am." I respond bringing down my hood.

"You seem to be quite settled down, if you don't mind me saying."

"My home is a street away, I expect my children will be on the beach when we return."

"Children?"

"Yes, as well as my daughter I also have a son. Twins."

"But the boy is not a fire bender?"

"No," I grin, "Kai takes after his mother's element."

We walk in silence to my home. When we enter Iroh looks around with interest.

"It's not much I'm afraid. Certainly not what you're used to in the capital, General Iroh." I apologize.

"Miss Katara-"