The Rise

Dave was lounging around in his apartment when it began. He had no idea of the torture to awake him and his team as he sat there drinking apple juice. It seemed to be a normal day; The sun was peaking from behind the clouds and Bro had gone out to who knows where.

He was flicking through channels on the TV, slightly bored. A news report flashed onto the screen, drawing his attention.

"Scientists in Germany have discovered a new virus that seems to be spreading alarmingly fast. Authorities have ordered a lock down on country borders, though residents are told not to panic. Germany should have it under control in less than a month. We will regularly report on the process of this news. For now, no extra precautions are to be taken by America. This is Jude Harley, reporting from channel 5 news."

The broadcast finished, and Dave questioned some of the things mentioned. If the country was on lock down, then it would certainly be a lot more serious than the reporter led on. It could simply be trying to reduce mass panic. If so, that would mean and a mass and deadly virus has been released.

Fuck.

Dave shrugged, coming to the conclusion that, as long as it didn't affect America, there would be no need to worry. Yet.

Later that day, Bro came back. It turned out he'd been shopping for groceries. At least he bought more AJ.

Dave grabbed another bottle and headed to his room. He shut the door after him and booted up his computer.
———————————————————
TG : hey john
No reply
TG: john you there
No reply
TG: just wondered if you heard about that virus
No reply
TG: nvm then
———————————————————
Dave left his computer after an unsuccessful attempt at messaging John. Instead, he tried to update his webcomic, Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

Unfortunately, his mind wasn't cooperating. For some reason, he couldn't shake the thought of that virus out of his head. It just kept nagging for his attention.

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. Adjusting his shades, he closed his eyes. Just a quick power nap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave woke up at around three in the morning. So much for a 'quick' power nap. But now he wasn't tired enough to get to sleep. So he didn't sleep. Instead, he looked out of his window.

Night could be creepy. Cool, but creepy. Shadows seemed to lick across every surface outside.

And was that...

No, it was just Dave's brain playing tricks on him. As usual. He thought he'd seen something large move down below. A crossing of shadows.

But who would be up at this hour? Exactly, no one. Dave shook his head. He sat watching the world like that for a while.

It was only after so long did Dave realise something odd. There wasn't anything moving out there. Not a thing. No birds, cars, or animals. Not even any planes in the sky. Sure, it was 3 am. But there was usually some form of life.

This night there was none.

He debated reasons in his head. It could be coincidence, or something else.

A sudden yell caught him off guard. It came from outside his room, from somewhere else in his apartment. He ground his teeth, and grabbed his sword.

Making his way to the door, Dave braced himself. He turned the handle and pushed. The hallway was dark. Too dark to see anything.

His hand reached for the light switch. He found it, and pressed the pad down.

Nothing.

He took a step back into his room, and, eyes still on the hallway, grabbed a flashlight from his bedside.

He turned it one and faced it into the black abyss.

Just his ordinary hallway. Nothing has changed. He ran the flashlight up and down, checking for anything usual.

But everything was normal. Everything was in place.

So why did he feel uneasy?

He moved forward. Soon he had checked the full apartment. Except Bro's room.

He knew that Bro was probably fine, yet that didn't help his queasy stomach.
He decided to check. Just in case.

As he reached for the handle, a bang from inside made him hurriedly step back.

Another bang.

And another.

Not timed. Random, odd smashes into the door from inside.

Dave had a feeling that whatever in there wasn't bro.

He raised his sword and placed his hand on the handle, now trying to ignore the smashes. He pushed it open, and immediately leapt back.

The thing inside was definitely not his Bro. At least, not anymore.

Dave's suspicions were confirmed.

Zombies.

He knew what he had to do.

—> [Strife]