Goodbyes are always hard

A neatly ironed neatly folded freshly washed t-shirt was placed softly in a  suitcase with at least 10 more. A splash of something wet landed on the last shirt and a thumb stroked the droplet in, the face of an aging woman crumpled in sadness 'my boy is growing up' she whispered her voice breaking through the tears which were a combination of happiness and sheer joy and intense sadness. She pressed the last slightly warm t-shirt to her cheek and sobbed quietly.

'Oi bozo you really dont love me enough to give me a proper hug before you leave?' joked Stan. One of Steve's friends. Steve smiled meekly in reply, it really hurt him inside to be leaving everyone,his head was a tightly closed jar of emotions that he couldn't quite put his finger on. He turned and squeezed Stan to him tightly biting his lip to stop a possible sob from slipping out.

He did his rounds at the sixth form holding together through all the pesky nosy teachers and the annoying people who suddenly where his 'friend's when he left. He held up just fine until the end.

Steve slumped his bag over his shoulder blinking rapidly to expel the 'wetness' in his eyes, he walked sadly down the road out of the sixth form when he heard loud footsteps behind him. He swung round and the defeated and disappointed face of his best mate stared him right in the face. 'Oh, so its alright to not say goodbye to your best friend then is it?!' he choked his eyes welling up. 'I. I. Well. Urrr' Steve stuttered becoming increasingly desperate and red. Fred turned to leave when all of a sudden he gripped Steve so tightly he was nearly breaking him, Steve opened his arms around his friend and the tears began to flow. Resting his head on Fred's shoulder and silently crying, the painful sort where your gut feels like its being twisted and wrenched and it physically hurts.

After what felt like forever they pulled apart smiling weakly through glazed eyes at each other. Steve reached out his hand and Fred shook it confirmitavely. Fred nodded at him and said 'See you soon Buster' his voice cracking. He turned and strode off in the opposite direction not looking back, probably because he was crying so much that the wind was making the tears streak across his face.

Steve watched him vanish out of eyesight, he re adjusted his bag, sniffled. And headed home.