- First Flight -

Hey guys! Just a little snippet his week, but I'll make up for that by posting the next chapter a little bit early. Good luck to everyone who's finishing up with school, and I hope you enjoy!

Chyra took a breath, fighting against her growing nerves and Grey's own impatience

Chyra took a breath, fighting against her growing nerves and Grey's own impatience. She shifted her weight back and forth, her tail lashing furiously and her heart beating hard against her ribs.

Are you absolutely sure you're ready for this? Chyra asked in her mind, prompting an immediate affirmation from Grey. The wolf was ready, and she wanted Chyra to get over her trepidation and get going already.

"You look like you're about to pass out," Keith remarked dryly from Chyra's left, a skeptical look on his face. "You sure you can handle this?"

"Yes!" Chyra retorted way too quickly. If anything, her hasty answer only served to increase Keith's suspicions. Scolding herself, Chyra looked down at the Red Paladin sheepishly.

"Sorry, it's just been so long." Chyra tried to remedy the situation. But that really wasn't all that was causing her nerves.

Images flickered around in the back of her head: asteroid fields and laser blasts and lifeless rubble floating aimlessly in space filled her mind's eye despite her best efforts to staunch them. She shook herself free of thoughts of the past. She didn't have time to dwell on that now. She didn't need to think about her less-than-perfect record of flying with Grey, or the outcomes of her two previous flights, or how she always seemed to invite disaster upon herself and others whenever she flew-

Stop it, she scolded herself. This time will be different. It has to be.

Grey reinforced Chyra's positive affirmations with a soothing feeling, although she couldn't disguise her growing impatience and eagerness to get moving.

"Okay," Shiro joined in, approaching from the hangar doors in that smooth-moving way of his. His long strides carried him over to where Chyra and Keith were standing near Grey and the hangar's exit. "You've got clearance from Allura, albeit reluctant clearance." He looked at Chyra ruefully as he said this, his dark eyebrows quirked. "You ready?"

Chyra looked up at Grey, who was standing tall and eager, her bladed metal tail swishing back and forth in anticipation that fed off of and amplified Chyra's own excitement. A smile curled Chyra's scarred lips.

"Yes," she said, suddenly ecstatic, "I think I am."

Shiro beamed, which made the scar across the bridge of his nose crinkle just a little bit. "Then let's fly."

Chyra couldn't help the thrill of anticipation that ran up her metal-plated spine as she entered Grey's cockpit again.

There was something about it; the scent, the soft violet lighting, the wraparound windows, the smooth metal plating, and the soft glow of the control disks that was immensely soothing. Chyra felt her chest get lighter as she entered through the elevator, as though her proximity to Grey was easing her anxieties and taking some of the weight off of her shoulders. Chyra took a deep breath and walked further into the cockpit, letting Grey's mind press excitedly against her own. She hesitated before stepping onto the raised dais in the center of the chamber, her memories flashing across her mind. The last time she had stood here, she had lost everything.