Part Two: The Shadows

Castella stood, knowing well that her friends wouldn't believe her when she said his eyes change. But her phone dinged with a message, her covering her jump very well.

CARS BEEP BEEP
Did u see the eyes change as well?

Castella looked at Carston and Carston looked right back at her. They had a stare off, Carston's brown eyes burning into Castella's green eyes. At last, she gave a tiny nod.

"What on Earth are you nodding about?" Audrey asked, gripping Kameron's arm. "Can we go now?"

"You can leave the line and wait for us." Evan reasoned and Audrey stood like a deer in headlights before nodding and running off. "I didn't mean it." Evan stood shocked and Lexia laughed a little.

Evan's face turned a shade redder. Then at that moment, the announcer said, "The carnival is over. If you have a ride, leave now. Those staying for the bonfire, meet at the flagpole in five minutes."

Audrey scrambled back to them. "We're not going to that right?" She asked horrified. Her eyes were frantic and her tone was fast.

"Woah there. What's wrong?" Kameron asked grabbing Audrey's hands. Audrey looked behind her shoulder, the group looking as well. A man with a sack over his head had punched a wall, cracks forming on the concrete wall. He then walked around the corner to the parking lot.

"He tried.. he tried to drag me off." Audrey sobbed, tears spilling from her terrified brown eyes and she fell into Kameron. "He grabbed my hand, and told me to come with him." She panted from her sobs.

Lexia and Evan gasped terrified, Kameron looking blank, and slowly brushing Audrey's hair. Castella and Carston looked at each other, shocked.

After a moment of silence, Lexia said, "We're going to that bonfire." Audrey looked at her terrified. "This place is messed up with spirit mierda, and it's obvjously wants to be noticed. We have to figure it out so it's gone."

Everyone looked at each other solemnly. They knew they had to, even if they were personally terrified or didn't believe in this stuff. Lexia, the new girl they barely let into the group, was the one to notice it first.

"Lex is right. This rubbish is gonna haunt us the rest of our lives if we don't give it the attention it needs. And we have to make sure it ends before it can harm any other kid."

Castella walked to the new girl and gripped her hand. "Together united, or corrupted separation." She said firmly.

The remaining four looked at each other, before Carston and Kameron joined the stand. Audrey and Evan stood. Evan then joined, leaving Audrey standing alone in front of them.

"Together united forever. Corrupted separation till death." Audrey whispered and grasped Evan's hands.
-------
Castella stayed close to Carston who was faking a laugh with Kameron. Lexia and Audrey stood terrified and silent as Evan walked with them.

As the six walked, something flew at them, Castella yelling as she saw the pitch white eyes of the birds. Audrey shrieked and ducked, throwing her hands over her head as did Lexia. Kameron and Carston tried to catch them then paused as they couldn't.

They couldn't because the birds weren't solid figures. Evan yelled as one flew right through him. Two white eyeballs fell at his feet. "Shadow birds." Muttered Kameron. The birds all disappeared, flying through objects, white eyes falling at the floor.

"How the bloody hell were those even real!" Castella shrieked, and she gasped in pain as something flew through her. Audrey and Lexia ducked with their arms over their heads. Kameron, Carston, and Evan prepared for another bird attack.

But a knife fell before Castella's feet and her green eyes grew glazed behind her glasses. Carston stepped to her and Castella leaned into him. Kameron bent to pick up the knife. "Idiot! It's a shadow knife like those damn birds!" Evan snapped.

Kameron touched the hilt, and the shadow solidified, Kameron jumping back. He wrapped his hand around the knife and examined it. On the blade it said,

BIRDS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES FLYING TONIGHT

Kameron dropped it when he saw droplets of blood fall into the ground from the knife. Castella's eyes widened and she pulled up her shirt. Audrey and Lexia shrieked.

Right where the knife fell was a black spot on the Brit's tan stomach, scarlet drops dotting the area.