Prologue

Hotch's POV

"Mels, hurry up," I called. "You don't want to be late for your first day of kindergarten."

"Hold on Daddy," my little girl answered before bounding down the stairs, carrying a backpack that was completely filled. 

"What's this?" I asked, pointing to the bag when she got to the bottom of the stairs.

"Is for school," she answered.

"Let's see what you got." I crouched down, took the backpack and opened it up. "These are just toys." Melanie nodded with a smile on her face. "You don't need all this, sweetheart. Here," I said, handing the bag back to her. "Go put these away and then I'll take you to school, okay?"

"Otay," she said. I smiled as she then ran up the stairs. Haylee stepped into the room and I stood up. 

"Is she trying to fit her room in her backpack?" she asked with a smile plastered on her face.

"Pretty much," I said with a chuckle as I walked over to my wife. When I reached her, I putt my hands on her waist and pressed my lips to hers. As I pulled away, my phone rang. I released Halee and answered it. It was JJ with a homicide case in Colorado. I hung up as Melanie came back down the stairs, her backpack now practically empty. 

"Ready," she said." 

I sighed. "Honey, look," I said, crouching down so I was almost at her eye level. "Daddy has to go to work, so mommy's going to take you to school, okay?"

"Are you going to bwing me home?"

"No, but I'll call you as soon as you're done. Sound good to you?" She nodded. "Okay," I said before kissing her forehead. I stood up and headed towards the door. Before I left, I said, "I'll talk to you tonight." That was the last thing I said to my daughter, the last thing I said before she disappeared.