chapter 1: veronica

when i found you my heart found a home

———

I'm sitting outside in the sunny and crisp September morning air, smiling quietly as I watch Finn leaning over dozens of bouquets, looking for the perfect one to buy. He ruffles his hand through his chestnut hair, brushing it carefully to the side. His glasses were sliding down his nose as he leaned forward, pacing in a slow circle around the shady stand in search of the perfect bouquet. I leave the warm bench and the sunshine to make my way over to his concentrating figure. I quietly slip my hand in his and place my head against his arm, leaning against him as he absentmindedly pulls me close. His hand brushes gently through my flowing hair as he combs over the large selection until a particular bouquet catches his eye. I follow his gaze to beautiful bunch, made with a large array of soft violet wisteria paired with a bundle of delicate pale roses next to a modest pair of deep blush peonies. A brightly colored false goat's beard is arranged in the back of the bouquet, complementing the cool purples, gentle pinks, and deep greens of the other plants. The final result was breathtaking. Finn grabbed the bundle, lifting it gently with his empty hand, turning and inspecting the elegant bunch.

"Yep," he smiled brightly, tugging my hand as he rushed to the cashier. He eagerly addressed the young girl and handed her the large bundle.  "We'll have these, please."

She placed a long sheet of brown paper around them and handed them back to Finn as he completed the purchase.  I pressed against him once again as he placed the small amount of change into his pocket and handed me the large bunch. I laughed as we walked away together, the bouquet covering my face completely.

———

We made our way down the cool city boulevards, a light mist making the air heavy but not unpleasant, as we travelled to our small apartment. We walked together, each step in sync, as we discussed nothing at all and enjoyed each other's company.  I still held the flowers in one arm, the huge bundle making my sight dangerously limited as we moved along.  We ended the short walk on the steps of our building, holding hands and carrying the flowers in the crook of my arm. Finn carefully plucks them away, setting the bouquet on the step below us, careful not to let it roll down as he takes my other hand and turns me toward him.  I looked up at Finn, my grey eyes meeting his deep brown ones. His wide rimmed glasses are slipping down his adorable freckled nose as usual, but he doesn't let go to push them up. His hair begins to slide down and flop over his soft chocolate eyes, the chestnut tickling my forehead as we move closer together.  I close my eyes, enjoying the warmth and safety he is as he brings me into a close hug, both arms wrapping around my protectively.  I rest my head against his chest, breathing in his familiar scent of books and clean laundry.  I look up at him once again and take his hands, when he makes an odd, confused expression, then begins to chuckle.  My cheeks flush with color and I take a step back. "What?" I demand, withdrawing my hands and placing them on my hips.  I glare at him for good measure, which only makes his laugh more prominent.  Still chuckling, he pulls me back to him "Oh, come back Ver," he says as his laugh continues, the sound ringing around the steps, filling it with a giddy joy.  "You just have some pollen on your nose.  Let me help you get it." I sigh and step closer to him as he brushes his hand over the tip of my nose.  "Close your eyes." he chuckles, as his fingers wave lightly over my eyelashes and the bridge of my nose. He finishes, moving his hand to hold my cheek and look at me again. I close my eyes, pressing back into an embrace, wanting to be closer, when my nose begins to tickle.  My eyes spring open and I push away again, the sensation becoming more and more prominent until I am sneezing uncontrollably.  I begin laughing between sneezes, tears coming to my eyes as I double over, unable to stop sneezing and laughing.  I finally stop, chuckling from a crouching position on the ground.  I reach up and pull Finn down to me until we are again looking into each other's eyes.  I'm laughing and Finn has a wide smile on his face, spreading sunshine into the early morning.  I gaze at him again, still chuckling as I sneak my arm around his neck and pull him into a kiss.

———

    We walk into the lobby of our building with our arms wrapped around each other.  Finn's holding the bouquet this time, its fragrance filling the hallway as we pass each doorway. We walk up the steep staircase, passing rusted metal doors and sour smelling bricks as we ascend.  We reach our home at the uppermost floor with no disturbances.  Finn opens the peeling wooden door, exposing the blinding sun lit room as sunlight streams in through the tall windows on the eastern wall.

Our quaint little apartment sits on the corner of the top floor, granting an amazing view of the street below. Unlike much of New York, our small alley street to the west lacks the throngs of people weaving through the crowded sidewalks. Instead, a lazy breeze blows through the small, plant filled alley below. To the east, dozens of small shops line the autumn colored streets, tall trees dropping gold and crimson leaves on the awnings and sidewalks below.  The tallest branches of a large oak tree brushed the bottom corner of the farthest window of our apartment, tapping softly as a breeze blows gently by.

Our apartment is beautiful, with tall windows on two of the old brick walls. Sun streams through the glass surrounded in the ebony frames, lighting the dark wooden floor and tall brick walls.  A wooden table has a place at the center of the room, an empty vase on the surface waiting for the new bouquet in Finn's arms to be placed inside. We enter the threshold slowly, taking in the comforting atmosphere with pleasure.  I let go of Finn's hand, making my way to the  bedroom to change. Duty calls.  Well, duties call.

    I lift off my shirt, the thin black material fluttering to the ground before I rip off my light jeans and toss them onto the rug below. I push the articles into the wicker laundry basket while I throw on my muted teal scrubs as I prepare to go to work.  I throw my hair up into a quick and messy ponytail, leaving a few strands loose in the front.  I move quickly around the room, gathering anything I might need for today.  I reach for the hook on the door, grabbing my backpack as walk out of the bedroom, slamming the door behind me.  I look ready to head out for work.  I give Finn a long hug, not wanting to leave him for where I'm about to go, and give him a quick peck on the lips.  "Love you Finn.  I'll be back late tonight." Finn nods as I turn away.  I step toward the doorway when he suddenly grasps my hand. "Love you too Ver."  He smiles sadly, feeling as unenthusiastic as I am for me to leave home. "I'll see you tonight."  We both sigh and exchange one more look before I shut the door and head to work.

——

note from the author:

Thank you so much for stopping by to read!  Please note that I am writing this strictly for fun, and therefore, it will be largely unedited and somewhat amateur. Because of it's relaxed nature, my updates may be sporadic, but I will try my best to post a chapter every Monday. Despite that, I really hope that you enjoy the things that I write. Again, I really appreciate your read and I hope that you will be back soon.

lady-disdain