Chapter 12

Prince Ezra Daughtery

Infernal City, Hosephia

I have never missed the ground so much in all my life. I am doubled over, hands on my knees and partially leaning against a wall for stability. Jaymie's muffled giggles aren't helping my ego at this moment, for I know she is laughing at my reaction. Her dragon had deposited us out of sight down a dark alley, and the strange little creature morphed to the size of an apple and slithered up Jaymie's arm, hidden from sight. Dex stands at the alley opening, watching the people passing by; the people paying absolutely no notice to the foreign figure leaning casually against the corner of the building that I am. Despite its title, the city is nestled into a small mountain range, beautiful but deadly. If one dared to stray beyond the city wall, one might meet a gruesome fate at the hand of a cliff face. If one is not killed by the fall alone, the trees below are tall and pointed to the tip like a needle which is sure to skewer unfortunate souls.

I no longer feel the need to lose my dinner from the ball last night, but the feeling of floating refuses to leave, making my legs feel like mush. I feel Jaymie lay a hand on my shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"Oh, yes." I remark sarcastically. "I just feel like my entire body is inside out, but other than that, I am completely fine!" This causes Jaymie to laugh again.

"I'm sorry." She says through her laughter. "It was the quickest way to get here."

"No need to apologize. I completely understand." I manage to say though deep breaths. "I didn't exactly ever imagine myself riding a dragon in my life time."

"I promise to go easy on you the next time." I can feel the small wince she gives, even without seeing it. Next time? I don't know whether to be happy there could be a possible next time, or horrified. I force myself to straighten and look at her, even though my world seems to keep spinning. "All better?" She is staring up at me in the way that now seems to root me in place, but I sense something is different about it. Last time, I almost kissed her and I can't stop thinking about it. The scene constantly plays in my head and the vision of her in that dress refuses to leave. She flinches suddenly and takes a step back, as though she remembers that we could be seen at any second, but the hurt expression that flashes across her face let me know that I have done something wrong. I shouldn't have tried to kiss her. She must be absolutely confused right now, which I am as well, but neither of us signed up for it to be like this. "We should get going. Iris and Lucas already headed out to get some information from the local records." She quickly moves away before I can say anything, leaving me to feel like a complete idiot.

She goes to talk to Dex and they speak for a moment. I watch them, knowing I could have followed her, but my feet refuse to free me. Why do I have the sudden urge to knock Dex to the ground? Why do I want to punch him in the face? All they are doing is talking, and yet I know how much they mean to each other. If only I could mean that much to her. What am I saying? Isn't it the point of an arranged marriage is to not get close? So, why do I feel like I never want to leave her side? Why do I feel like my entire body trembles under her gaze?

I see her motion for me to join her, and I reluctantly pull my rooted feet from their place and meet up with them as we all exit the alleyway and merge into a moving crowd. We were practically invisible before in the alley, but now that we are out in the open, it doesn't take long before people begin to stare. People are not even trying to hide their staring either. Their double takes are obvious and their gossip is above average in volume. One woman even doubled back to get another look. I glance at Jaymie and I know both she and Dex are taking notice to the way people are looking at her. She bites her lip in nervousness and pulls up her hood, hiding her red hair from prying eyes. Red hair. I glance around, realizing that not one visible person in this crowded city has red hair, or not as red as Jaymie's. She sticks out more than a Wisteria in a field of white daisies. Dex takes a step closer to her, and keeps a hand on the hilt of a hidden sword. I find myself taking a step closer to her as well, as if on instinct, an action which further confuses me. I begin to wonder if Jaymie looks even more out of place now, as more people continue to stare at a hooded figure on a warm day.