Cancer (Frerard one-shot)

"Hello is this Frank Iero"

"Yes this is he." I mentally kicked myself, that sounded so incredibly stupid, and I wasn't going to correct her that it was technically frank Way. She didn't know as we've had trouble changing the name on some legal documents.

"Hi this is Kelley with the New Jersey Cancer Research center. We need you to get here as quickly as possible regarding a 'Gerard Way'." My chest immediately tightened at the mentioning of my Gee. I knew he wasn't in the best of condition and having me called couldn't be good, but I kept my voice calm and even.

"I was actually on my way there now. Thank you for calling I'll be there shortly." I said, quickly ending the call. As soon as I set my phone down I started to freak out a little, trying to force away a panic attack.

"Daddy, is daddy okay?" Miles, our 5 year old son asked from the backseat. I wasn't one to lie to kids because of their innocence. I showed Miles the real world, no matter his age. Gee and I both agreed that's how to raise a child. We showed them the truth in that this world is a sick disgusting place.

"Now Miles, you know Daddy's been sick for a long time. So I honestly can't answer your question right now. We'll see when we get there. But can you stay strong for daddy?" Miles nodded and I smiled, I couldn't imagine what was going through that kids head right now. He's stronger than I could ever be, that's for sure.

I decided to turn on the radio and try to calm my nerves. I flipped stations for a while, getting input on how it was all 'garbage' from Miles until it came to an old rock station. "Okay here's an old one you may not remember unless you were a member of The Black Parade." I immediately knew it would be one of our songs, so I turned it up a bit to hear the first few piano notes I knew so well. I smiled despite the tears in my eyes and began to sing along. Thinking about Gee.

It's so crazy hard, watching the one you love fight something you have no control over. You feel absolutely helpless, you feel like you've lost your grip, and if it's bad enough it feels like you've lost that loved one too. That's how it was with Gerard. Once the lump was found it was too late. It was massive and we later learned it was one of the later stages of cancer. But my baby fought with all he had and got better every single day, until I finally got to bring him home.

When he came home we decided to adopt Miles, he was only one at the time so we didn't have to do the get-up-every-five-seconds. We were looking into adopting again, a little girl named Bandit when during a normal exam they found out the cancer had come back and viciously attacked over half of his body. I spent almost every night in the hospital with him those first few months of Chemo. But it didn't seem to be doing anything for him. My baby was dying, and I had to watch it all unfold before my eyes.

We let Gee have one final wish granted. And that was to tour as My Chemical Romance one last time despite having been gone for almost 15 years. During the reunion tour, he played a new song, 'Cancer' and all proceeds from all the shows went to research funds. It was amazing to see how the guys have grown and to have all their wives and kids (except Bob, who had his amazing husband Tre) standing side stage watching us.

The tour was killer on Gerard's body. He must have wanted this to be the end because ever since he got home from tour he's been in the hospital in critical condition. But I think it was worth it to see him happy and singing again, strutting around with a Revenge-era wig on because he had no hair and smiling at all the parents that brought their kids who'd come to see us. Now, thinking back. I wouldn't have wanted anything else for Gerard. He had fun. That's what I wanted to see out of him the most.

As the song ended we arrived at the hospital and Miles un-buckling shook me back to reality. We hurried past the front desk- I've been here so many times they all know me and Gerard are a couple- and jumped on the closest elevator. I picked up little Miles and looked into his face. He seemed so strong. I was proud.

The elevator eventually stopped on Gee's floor and Miles and I sped directly there. I stopped to compose myself before we went in. "Now Miles, daddy looks a little different. But that doesn't mean he doesn't love you. Okay?" I tried to explain to him. Miles hasn't seen Gerard since the tour ended, about two months ago. "Yes daddy I know." Miles ran through the door and climbed up onto Gerard's bed faster than I could have time to react and catch him.

Gerard shocked me, he didn't even look like the same person. Well, chemo does that to a person. "Hey Miles. How's my little guy?" Gerard reached out slowly and ruffled his hair, setting the child off into a giggling fit. "I love you daddy." Miles told him immediately "I love you. I love you. I love you." He kissed Gerard's nose, forehead, and then lips in between saying this and It brought tears to my eyes. Miles knew what was about to happen, he wasn't a dumb kid. "I love you too bud. Don't you ever forget that" Gerard said with tears in his eyes.

"Hey Miles, can you go wait on the chairs in the hallway? I've gotta talk to daddy." He nodded and ran out the door. I walked over and sat on the edge of Gerard's bed, but he pulled at me weakly so I laid down next to him, turning on my side so I could see him better.

He sighed a really deep sigh before simply saying "I knew this is it Frankie. And I wanted to be lying next to you, like we always promised all those years ago." I immediately felt tears in my eyes. "No frank, don't cry. This is a happy thing. I'll be out of my pain. And I can see my Grandma again. We'll keep watch over you and Miles every single day I promise." I tried to hold it back but we both began to cry. "I can't do this without you Gee." I said softly through tears that were streaming down my face. "Hey. You can and you will. Just remember me. Not like this, but how we used to be. Okay?"

" I love you Gerard."

"I love you too, Frankie. You gave me the best years of my life." I laid there with Gerard for a while, holding his hand tightly. Telling him all about how Miles is going to grow up and how I'll get Bandit just for him and all my plans for the kids futures. Until his grasp on my hand slowly faded into a limp hold.

"I love you Gerard Arthur Way."

And with that, I kissed him on the lips and watched my perfect baby, my other half, my Gee Bear slip through my fingers with a faint smile on his lips.