Chapter Three: First Day

The buzzing of my new alarm clock woke me early the next morning. I slipped quietly out of my room and down the hall to the bathroom. It was deserted. Smiling gratefully I grabbed my toiletries and entered one of the shower cubicles. It felt good to be able to take as long as I wanted and to be able to use as much shampoo and conditioner as I wanted, without having to worry about Sophia noticing some was missing. As I exited the bathroom I came face to face with Valerie. She gave me the same look as before. Her faced showed no emotion but her eyes were cold. I shivered slightly but held her gaze. I wasn't going to let her scare me. Valerie's hair was even wilder than yesterday, and its colours match her pyjamas. She reached out and placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Out of my way kid." She shoved me roughly aside.

I watched the bathroom door slam shut, behind her before running back to my room. It was still early but I dressed in my new school uniform anyway. After brushing my long brown hair I let it fall over my shoulders. Pulling it up never felt right and I preferred it loose. When I was ready it was time to go exploring. Exiting my room, I looked around. Where should I go? The stairs were to my left and as I stared at them an idea came to me. I crept slowly up the stair to the year nine and ten floor. When I reached the landing I looked around. This floor was the same as my own floor, and just as empty. I kept going, up the stair and onto the eleven and twelve year's floor. Again, it looked exactly the same. Turns out things don't change as you move up through the years. Suddenly I heard footsteps. The door to room one hundred and five began to open. Quickly, I darted back down the stairs. I didn't stop until I reached the bottom of the stairs and was standing on the path outside.

Leaning against the wall, I paused to catch my breath. The adrenaline of sneaking around upstairs was still running through me. Looking around I couldn't see a single person. The glowing numbers of my watch revealed the time; seven twenty one am. I sighed, school didn't start until nine. I had a lot of time to fill. My school shoes clicked on the path as I started walking, without really knowing where I was going. It was only when I was pushing open the smooth glass door of the main building that I realised I was heading for the library. Mrs Benson smiled at me as I passed. When I reached the top floor, I paused, looking at the words LIBRARY on the door in front of me. This library was far bigger than the one at my old school.

I pushed open the door happily and walked into the room, the aisles of books were lit by the morning sun flooding through the window. There was no one there except for the librarian. She looked up as the door clicked shut behind me but then went back to her work. Running my hand over the books I explored the different parts of the library. Slowly the noise level rose as more and more people entered the library. Soon it had grown too much and I was forced to leave. This library was far more popular. I walked back out of the building and hide around the corner. From here I could see a group of boys who looked about my age. They were kicking a soccer ball back and forth on the grass. A group of girls, who again looked about my age, sat behind them watching the game in a bored manner. Suddenly I heard a voice from behind me.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped and spun around. Rose was standing behind me, smiling slightly. I smiled back and waved, but didn't answer her question.

She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, Sophia and Melanie were looking for you."

"Thanks." I replied and began to walk back the way Rose had come, towards the front of the school.

"Oh and Luna!" Rose called.

"What?" I replied, turning around again.

"Nothing." She said turning away.

I frowned slightly. Rose was very strange. Shaking my head I walked off, not knowing where I was going. It was only when the bell rang that I stopped walking and headed back to my locker. There were plenty of other kids in the locker room but I ignored them and pulled out my timetable. Roll call was in room four, followed by English in room six. Pulling out my books and pencil case I turned around. The locker room was empty now. Worried that I would be late, I hurried to class. When I got there roll call had already started. I slipped quietly into the room and looked for a seat.