1 - The Pain

SO I'D LIKE STATE THAT THIS BOOK WAS INSPIRED BY polarspaz ON TUMBLR THEY'RE GREAT AND I LOVE THEY'RE ART http://polarspaz.tumblr.com/post/158334422286/lance-is-terrified-to-touch-anyone-when-hes-like

   "Okay Lance, this job shouldn't be too hard! Another one of the scaultrite is damaged and being as lanky as you are, I think you should hold it in place," Allura smiled at Lance. 
   "Got it, princess," he winked in response,"I've got this in the bag!"
   "Okay, here's one of Hunk's....cookies," Pidge frowned before smirking,"I was able to modify the food goo so it was clear and spread it on this!"
   "Hey," Hunk whined,"My cookies are perfectly good! Just....not that batch."
   "We know big guy, your baking is great," Lance laughed.
   "Okay Lance, are you ready," Shiro asked, patting Lance on the back.
   "As ready as I'll ever be. This'll be easy!"
   As the team headed down to the 'wormhole-er' as Allura and Coran began to call it, Keith came up and grabbed his boyfriend's hand, causing him to smile. The two walked in silence for a while, Lance could tell Keith was a little worried but he knew the smaller male didn't need to.
   Once they got there, he turned up to Lance and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek,"Stay safe, Sharpshooter."
   "Anything for you, Samurai," Lance smiled back and Keith giggled, making the first blush before burying his face into his lovers neck with a hug,"You really are the cutest, you know? It should be illegal!"
   Keith giggled again as the Cuban smothered his neck in nuzzles and kisses. While the others rolled their eyes, ignored the two, or called them cute, Pidge gagged.
   "Will you guys ever get out of this gross 'beginning of a relationship' cuteness," she scowled as Lance moved away from Keith's neck.
   "As long as this man giggles, no," he responded.
   "And shouldn't you be used to it? It's been what? A year and a half for us," Keith asked.
   "Yep," Lance nodded.
   "Alright, ready Lance," Allura asked.
   "As ready as I'll ever be," he grinned at her.
   Lance entered the area holding one of the scaultrite cookies, allowing Coran to position him how he was needed. He ended up laying on the ground with his back arched in an odd position and several on cookies on my back as well.
   "Okay, it's extremely important that you don't move, most of them are quite literally on the edge of falling so be careful," Coran instructed the human.
   "I'll be fine Coran, just go start it quickly, I can't stay like this for long," Lance replied, steadying his breathing.
   Coran nodded and ran out, ushering the others, especially Allura, go up to the main room and start the wormhole. They must've gotten there pretty quickly because in just seconds later a low rumble began and the familiar blue lights came.
   Soon Lance was surrounded by the light and he began to slightly to panic. The boy could feel my muscles trembling with tiredness, he really needed to work out my core and arms more.
   "Fuck," he whispered to his self,"I can do this, I can do this, I can definitely do this, I can do this..."
   And then it happened, one of the plates fell. Instantly he could feel his skin begin to burn and let out a pained scream for just a second before passing out.
   While that was occurring, the others were unaware until they were no longer in the wormhole despite the fact that they should have been still in it.
   "Lance," they all realized at the same time before they rushed down to him.
   As Hunk, Coran, Pidge, Allura, Shiro, and especially Keith sprinted through the halls, heading down to the boy.
   'Shit, I knew this was a bad idea! I knew he should have stayed out of there! Damn it,' Keith yelled at himself, upset he didn't listen to his instincts.
   Once they got in there, the door opened as well as the door to Lance.
   "Lance," Shiro yelled as he ran into him,"Lance, come once, wake up!"
   "Does he have a-a...," the red paladin started.
   Shiro looked at the boy before checking quickly,"I-I can't tell..."
   "It's because you're not checking correctly," Hunk cried and ran forward to Lance's side.
   He pressed his ear to Lance's chest,"I can hear a little bit of something, we need to get him in a healing pod now."
"Are you sure? I mean I know humans aren't as fragile as some but-," Allura was cut off.
"Just do me a favor and shut up! He'll be fine. He's always fine....he's our sharpshooter.....of course he'll be fine," Keith broke, holding himself in a hug as he had just watched Hunk, Coran, and Shiro carry Lance out hurriedly,"so shu-ut up..."
Pidge went up to him and began to comfort her friend as Allura left, not wanting to bother them anymore.
"Keith, trust me, he'll be fine. Like you said, he's Lance, he's always fine," Pidge reassured her anxious friend.
"But what if he's not? What then? He's all I have! He's really all I have," Keith sobbed anxiously.
Pidge was quiet for a moment, thinking over what to do or say,"Let's go see him, alright?"
Keith simply nodded and the two headed up the infirmary. By the time they got up there with the others, Lance was already in a pod, slowly healing with the help of the pod.
"Honestly, I have no idea how he's alive," Allura whispered quietly.
"It could be because he's human, not Altean," Coran suggested quietly.
"What are you guys talking about," Shiro interjected.
"Well, the entire castle is powered by Altean energy, most of it is used by the wormhole-er. If an Altean is even touched by a drop of it...," Allura dragged off.
"Oh god," Hunk whispered worriedly, Keith simply bit his knuckles to keep down more tears.
   "How long will he be in there," Pidge asked, sadness in her voice.
"It looks like until the end of the day, close to when you all head to bed," Coran replied gloomily.
"He'll be okay though," Keith questioned, his arms still wrapped around his body.
"He...should be. I don't see anything wrong with his body other than an immense amount of Altean energy," Allura reassured him,"and of course the burnt skin."
Shiro frowned, sad to see his brother so upset, especially over something -more over someone. He walked over and enveloped the smaller boy in a hug, not knowing what else to do. He felt the smaller boy tremble and knew he wouldn't want the others to see him cry so violently so Shiro motioned for the others to leave, they did so.
Keith let out a shaker sob,"I don't know if I can do it without him...."
"He'll be fine, Keith, I swear to you."
The rest of the day was filled with Keith sitting next to the pod, occasionally falling to sleep on it for a few minutes, Hunk was nervously baking and pretty much just shoveling everything into Pidge's moth, she was a horrible stress eater. Shiro and Allura were trying to make everything seem normal for you heir own sake, to comfort themselves. Coran was checking up on everyone, all of them were scared, scared of what was to come of Lance.
   "Hey, number four, how you holding up," Coran asked quietly, placing himself next to the boy.
   "When is he going to get out? He's looking a lot ok healthier, so shouldn't it be soon," Keith asked, ignoring the mans question.
   Coran pauses for a moment before looking at the charts,"Yes, about one and a half of you human hours."
   Keith nodded, burying his face in his knees,"He won't be different, right? I mean, not that I wouldn't still love him, but he won't be like....pretty much brain dead?"
   "There's no way to tell how different he will be, but these wave lengths are completely normal albeit showing lots of pain," he said.
   "Okay, okay," Keith whispered,"I just want him to be okay..."
   "I know, we all do," Coran murmured and slowly took the younger boy in a hug,"Can I....tell you something, Keith?"
   "Yeah, of course, Coran."
   "Lance reminds me a lot of a son of my own, he's dead now of course but I still love him. His name was Ilic and he was my world, there's not a day where I don't think of him. When I met Lance, I knew I couldn't let anything happen to him, I don't know what I would do. Please, keep him safe, let him keep you safe, just show him enough love for both of us."
   "I will, I promise, Coran."
   "Thank you."
   "So tell me more about Ilic," Keith smiled, wiping away past tears, still leaning against the man he considered his uncle.
   Coran beamed and began to babble about his beloved son, talking about everything from his first burp to his first lover. It was cute, soothing even, to listen to. They both mostly watched Lance gently shift in the pod, appearing to be having a nice dream.
   Soon the others were in there, staring oddly as Keith laughed at Coran's story, holding his stomach tightly. Keith exclaimed his disbelief before Coran replied, stating it was true.
   "Uh, hey guys," Shiro said slowly.
"Hey. Is he supposed to get out soon," Keith asked, standing up.
"Yeah, in about five minutes," his brother nodded.
That's how everyone came to gather around the pod, the air thick with worry. Once the pod did open and the Cuban boy stumbled out, Keith reached out a caught him, holding him close.
"Keith," Lance murmured,"What happened?"
"You were an idiot," he grumbled angrily,"Something happened, do you remember having to hold the scaultrite cookies in place?"
   He groaned slightly,"Yeah and then....I don't know.."
   "That's okay," Keith whispered to him, still holding onto his waist protectively as he stood.
   "Something happened, one of the cookies shifters probably and you got hurt, you were directly hit by the beam," Hunk explained with a frown.
   "Fuck," he whispered and hung his head low,"Are we still going to get to Tyra on time?"
   "We explained what happened to them, the Tyrians told us to to take our time,"Allura replied,"While we're getting there, you should rest, Lance."
   "Right, right," he nodded before turning down to the boy holding him,"Help me to our room?"
   The boy just nodded into the other's side, both starting to walk towards their room. Both sat in a comfortable silence as they walked, only speaking ice they go to the room.
It was much larger than the usual, one person room. It had a large, circular bed on one side of the room and the adjoining wall had a large window the revealed the view of whatever was outside, though it was dirty from the other nights...activities(IN MY DEFENSE I HAD TO). There was a large, but basically unused dresser and closet, the only things being in both were their casual wear, night wear, and their suits. There was also a bathroom, a large bath that could probably fit all six possible paladins -though Allura dropped back to the castle- and a shower, sink, and toilet.
"Do you need anything? I'm gonna get you water and food," Keith asked worriedly.
"Wow, so demanding," Lance laughed,"and if you honestly think I'm letting you leave me for a while, you're insane! And you know that Hunk is definitely already on that!"
Keith laughed lightly, sitting next to his lover as he got comfortable in bed,"You worried me, you know."
"I'm sorry," he whispered.
"Just because you scared me half to death doesn't mean I want an apology, I just want you to comfortable."
"I'd be most comfortable in your arms," he smirked,"or in between your legs."
"That would be nice, but you need to rest," Keith hummed.
"One kiss," Lance replied, gently placing two fingers under Keith's chin, that always made him fall.
"Just one," he sighed, going in for a gentle kiss.
They're lips met, the kiss lasting a few more seconds before pulling apart only to meet again.
"Didn't I say just one," Keith asked between kisses.
"Yes but you don't seem to care so shut up and kiss me," the other laughed, pulling Keith on top of him.
"You play dirty, my love, you play so dirty!"
Soon after, Hunk came in to see the two a mess of cuddles, kisses, giggles, and compliments. After an awkward moment, Hunk delivered the food and then left, scolding Keith to let Lance rest. The rest of the night was just Lance eating, both of them washing themselves and then going to bed, Keith wrapped around Lance protectively.