Chapter 14: The Battle

The faint dripping was the first thing Eva heard in the dank, cold dungeons of Esos. Groaning and shaking her head, Eva rose slowly. Her limbs and head were aching but she was able to pull herself to stand in the dungeon cell with the help of the cell bars.

"You should rest and regain your strength." a male voice spoke and the figure walked into the light. Henry Greer looks as handsome and just as serious as the day of Eva's wedding. Something in his eyes reminded Eva of the way Thomas had looked. Dazed, confused and empty.

In his hands were a plate of cheese and bread. He knelt down and slid the plate underneath the bars, "Eat. You need to regain your strength."

Eva looked around her cell before looking to the cell next to hers. She could see a distinct lump breathing slowly, "Eloise?" When the lump didn't answer Eva glared back at Henry, "Are you going to give her food too?"

Henry put his hands at his sides and gave her a hard look, "We do not give food to traitors or spies, Eva. What were you thinking joining them? Have you gone mad? They must have put you under some spell for you to betray your family."

"I am no traitor to Esos. Karon is a traitor and a liar. Why are you helping him! Have you seen what he has done to Thomas?" Eva moved closer and shook the bars, "Where is Mara?"

"The Draki wench is none of your concern. Once the war is over and the Draki King is dead, Karon will have his Seer remove the spell the Draki have placed on you." Henry stood tall, "You should eat. The execution is in a few hours." He gave her a nod before walking down the hall and out of sight.

Looking down at the food, Eva's stomach turned and she knew she couldn't eat without knowing where Mara was or if Eloise was alright. Taking a small stone Eva wove her hand through the bars and threw it at the sleeping lump. The lumb groaned and shifted, but continued to breath deeply in sleep.

Eva rolled her eyes remembering Eloise was a very heavy sleeper and did not like to be interrupted from her sleep. Finding a larger stone Eva threw it and hit the lump in the shoulder causing it to cry out in pain, "What the hell are you doing!!"

Eloise sat up on the pallet and Eva snorted at her friend, who in the past always made sure her hair nicely done. However, now it looked like a rats nest and her face was smudged with dirt. Eloise rubbed her eyes and stared at Eva who was clutching the bars staring back at her most trusted friend.

The silence was uncomfortable and Eva whispered softly, "Hello."

Eloise stood wrapping the blanket she had tighter around herself. It was then that Eva realized Eloise was naked.

"Oh Eloise. What did they do to you?" Eva pushed on the bars but they wouldn't budge. All she wanted to do was hug her friend.

Looking down Eloise shrugged, "Nothing you are thinking. Half-breeds don't deserve clothing."

Eva felt tears running down her cheeks, "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault." Eloise smiled and came closer, "When did you get here? Why are you in a cell?"

"Henry sent me a letter with Sir Plum. He said you were to be executed and that Karon has cast some spell on Thomas. We came to rescue you." Eva snorted and looked around, "Some rescue, right?"

Eloise shook her head, "I fear no one can rescue us now. Henry lied. He is Karon's brother. Thomas has been poisoned by Karon and his Seer. Since you're supposed death your mother has not left her bed. I don't believe Karon perceives her to be a threat. Did they kill Daeron?"

Blushing and looking quite sheepish Eva kicked a stone, "Daeron doesn't exactly know I am here. Mara, his sister helped me to escape the island. I fear she has been captured by Karon as well."