Chapter 3: Partners

"Let it go Treecko. She wasn't—"

"How can I just let it go, Mankey? A human actually looked at me and didn't just scream bloody murder. They never do that." Treecko was instead amazed that the girl had sat quietly and watched him. "I mean, come on, are humans even capable of that? They usually go running away on their dumb, tall back legs."

Mankey shook his head while sighing. "Do not go mixing in with the humans. If fighting with the world out here doesn't get you killed," he waved to the forest, "talking to them will."

"You don't know that," Treecko responded nonchalantly. He then began to theorize, "Maybe she can help me get into the library and find what I need. After all, we have seen her go in and out of that building."

He turned away from the human building to face Mankey. He was looking at Treecko with a twisted face of rage and confusion. His eye twitched and his mouth was open in an expression of disbelief. "Are you kidding me right now!" he screamed. The branch above their heads shook as a Murkrow flew off at Mankey's shriek. "Do you even know what humans do when they catch small Pokémon like us?"

Treecko didn't even get a chance to think before Mankey continued shouting. "Seriously, humans are animals. They capture Miltanks in the most barbaric ways with traps and rope, then they make them fuck just so that they can have babies, then they eat the parents, and make the children do it all over again. I've watched their classes where they literally slice open Weedles and Caterpies for fun.

"Honestly, why did Dialga allow such horrific monsters to evolve? Too bad they can't evolve past this phase. Seriously, I bet they were so much better before Dialga went insane. They probably had another stage of evolution they could've reached like we were able to. Damn that insane son of a bitch, causing the whole world to go to sh—"

"Enough!" Treecko shouted, commanding his friend into silence. He shook his head, clearing away the negative emotions Mankey had just implanted. "I don't want to make friend with the human, I only need the information this girl obviously has access to. We've never seen anyone else her age walking in and out of their sacred building; only old farts that look too stuck up for their own good. I highly doubt they would be gullible enough to help us out. This girl, however, might be stupid enough to get me inside."

"Why does this mean so much to you anyway? It's just a stupid book filled with footprint runes. Can you even read footprint runes?" Mankey asked critically.

Sighing, Treecko turned to his friend. His friend knew the answer to that question, and Treecko was tired of having to prove himself. Instead of entertaining Mankey with an answer, Treecko instead posed a simple question, "Do you know what a Primeape is?"

"Excuse me?"

"I said, do you know what a Primeape is?" he repeated.

Mankey huffed, "Why the hell wouldn't I know what my evolution is? That was a dumb question." His chest was puffed out, overly proud of himself for being able to answer an intentionally easy question.

"Well," Treecko continued, "What if I told you that you could become a Primeape." A smile flickered across his face. He was proud of his plan, and he wanted Mankey to know it.

Instead of awe and wonder though, Mankey's response was only laughter; loud, guffawing laughter. "Oh my Dialga," he wheezed, "You are full of such Tauros shit, Treecko." He sounded like he was trying to say something else but was unable to because of his laughter. Instead, Mankey just fell over and continued giggling, gasping for air in between laughs.

Instead of waiting around for his friend to finish, Treecko just turned and walked away. He did not have to take these insults from his friend. He moved through the spiny bushes to an opening where a swarm of humans was exiting their building. They lingered, but not for long before continuing on up the hill towards more buildings. Occasionally, they would stop and have conversations with each other before continuing on their own paths away from the school. Scanning the crowd slowly, he did not see any sign of the girl.