Anxiety

Green’s pidgeot landed by the Route 1 entrance in Pallet Town. Green thanked his beloved bird pokemon and summoned him back into his ball. Green heard footsteps running towards him and he turned around, seeing his sister running towards him. Before he had the chance to say anything, Daisy slapped him hard against his face. Green winced at the stinging sensation lingering on his cheek and looked back at his sister.

“I deserve that,” he stated.

“Damn right you do! Green, I was really worried about you!” Daisy frowned, her tone quickly switching from angry to sad.

“Daisy, I was only gone for a couple hours,” Green said, looking at his sister and frowning.

“Check the time on your phone.”

Green pulled out his phone and flipped it open. His eyes widened when his phone said it was a quarter past three in the morning. I guess I really lost track of time. But it didn’t really take me that long to fly to Pallet Town… did it?

“Oh Daisy,” Green sighed, putting his phone away, “I’m really sorry. I wasn’t looking at the time. But I’m really curious, why didn’t you call or text me?”

“My phone died earlier today and I lost the charger a couple days ago. Remember?” She asked.

“Oh, right,” Green chuckled sheepishly. How could he forget?

Green turned his attention from his sister to his childhood rival’s house. On the doorstep, he saw the black-haired man sitting against the door, watching Green and Daisy. Green looked back at Daisy.

“Excuse me, I need to talk to Red for a moment,” Green said, walking away from his sister. She gave him a sad look before returning back into her home.

Green walked over to Red, his heart racing. He was scared to confront Red about what he witnessed earlier. What if he’s drunk? What if he gets violent like before? Green’s thoughts came to a halt once he arrived at Red’s house and saw the champion give him a small smile.

No, he couldn’t have been drinking.

“Hey,” Red greeted his boyfriend, smiling up at him.

“Go inside, we need to talk,” Green said, trying to hide the anxiety in his voice.

Red gave him a confused look, but opened the door anyway. Once the two were inside, Red closed the door behind them and sat down on the couch. Green sat down next to him and let out a shaky sigh.

“Red, I saw you walking into the liquor store earlier today.”

Green looked at his boyfriend, who went stiff and had wide eyes.

“Green, it’s not what you think. You have to believe me,” Red pleaded, looking up to the brunet.

“Why else would you go in there, Red? You’re supposed to stay away from that stuff!” Green almost shouted. Anxiety, disappointment, sadness, and anger were consuming him all at once. He couldn’t maintain his composure any longer. The gym leader felt tears prick his eyes, threatening to fall.

“I have a friend there. His name is Peter; he’s the cashier at the liquor store. When I would go there almost every day, he and I became friends. Green, you have to believe me,” the black-haired man said, holding onto Green’s hand gently.

Green withdrew his hand. “Prove it to me tomorrow. It’s too late right now. I’m tired and I have work tomorrow from nine to five.”

The gym leader stood up from his seat on the couch and headed towards the door. Before he could get the door open, he felt a hand on his arm. He turned around to see Red’s face, which was full of regret and panic.