Part 6

This book is available on Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, Apple and AllRomance Ebooks

   Rain lashed against Sam's slicker, but he rode on relentlessly. Where could they be? He'd been searching most of the night, but they had disappeared into the wilderness. When he'd checked on them before turning in and found them missing, he'd figured they'd headed to Fred's homestead two miles north. He'd ridden directly there, not overly concerned until Fred told him the children hadn't been there.

   Then the fear had set in, gnawing at his insides like a hungry rat. Fear, or guilt. This was his fault. He should never have agreed to send them to their grandparents. If anything happened to those children, he might as well die, too.

   "Ain't no sign of them," Fred shouted, reining his horse to a stop beside Sam’s. The wind howled, and Fred had to yell to make himself heard. "I checked over by South Creek and east as far as the river."

   Sam pulled his Stetson farther down. Rain dripped off the brim, and he ran his hand across the two-day stubble on his face. "If I had any idea what direction ... where they would go ..."

   "Joseph's probably got them holed up somewhere--"

   Sam nodded. Joseph was wise beyond his years. He'd have the sense to get the younger two out of the rain. "I suppose you're right."

   "Come on. Lou will have coffee on. We might as well wait until daylight, and then start out again."

   "No--"

   "Sam, all you're doin' is ridin' around in circles. There's no point to that."

   "I have to keep looking--"

   "Sam--"

   "I'm going to keep looking. You go home."

   Fred shook his head. "You're the stubbornest man I ever did meet," he yelled. "Why, even the mule I had a few years back wasn't as pig-headed--"

   Sam smiled. Fred was one of the few people who could get away with insulting Sam. "If you aren't going to shut up, go home," he muttered, knowing full well Fred was just as worried about the children as he was.

   "I should. I should just leave you out here--" Fred's voice trailed off as Sam dug his heels into the horse's side, and he rode away, leaving Fred to follow.

                                                          ***

   By the time Emma woke, a watery sun was peeking through the lace curtains at her bedroom window. She was exhausted. She’d lain awake most of the night searching for a solution to the children's problem.

   She had to return the children to their father. She knew that, yet she recoiled at the thought. In fact, he should be arriving shortly. With the few clues they'd unintentionally given her, she'd gone next door after the children were asleep and sought advice from her friends. James has identified the children immediately.

   Much as she hated to, she'd had no choice but to send word to the children's father. Surely the children would understand that. Why, by now, James was probably already at the Jenkins' ranch.

   She couldn't keep them herself, and she couldn't let them leave. They were far too young to be going off by themselves. They would hate her at first for betraying them. That much was certain. But they'd be thankful once their father explained, and they realized they'd misunderstood.

   Surely the children were mistaken. Perhaps their father had been angry and threatened to send them away, words spoken in haste, words that he regretted immediately after they’d left his mouth. The man was probably beside himself with worry by now and searching frantically for his children.

   But what if they were telling the truth, that their father really was sending them away? She'd be helping him to dispose of his own children. How could she live with herself?