14: Nathaniel Jean's Friends

The guys were acting weird.

Like, really weird.

They weren't being mean, exactly. "Distant" was a better word. Every time I was around them, I got the feeling that they knew something I didn't. Something that involved me. And as the days passed, their behavior grew stranger and stranger, until I felt like an alien among my own "friends".

It wasn't that I was particularly sad about their newfound exclusion. It didn't bother me that they kept hanging out without me, or turning their backs to me at lunch. I'd much rather spend my time with Lucas and his family anyways. What bothered me was the underlying threat that came with these actions.

     Their opinions of me weren't exactly on the top of my "important things" list, but I feared I would soon be friendless if things continued as they were. Without those guys, I was nothing, and I couldn't afford to be so defenseless. If they were upset at me over something—if they tossed me aside, told everyone whatever it was I'd done—I'd be an outcast before I could even try to salvage my reputation. I wasn't sure I could handle that.

      But what was I supposed to do about it? They weren't exactly the type of guys to have a nice heart-to-heart.

     Thankfully, I didn't have to do anything at all. After two weeks, when I was nearly positive I'd be at the bottom of the school's social ladder within another, they came to me.

I was walking with Lucas to my car when Damien and Cameron called me from behind. I knew before I turned what was coming. This was more or less the first real attempt they'd made to talk to me in a fortnight, so the chances of them wanting a casual conversation were less than likely. It was time for confrontation.

I told Lucas I'd meet him in the car and joined them wordlessly. They didn't bother to hide their glares as they led me all the way behind the school to the football field. There, Shawn was already waiting with Trevor and Tyler.

"What kind of cult shit is this?" I muttered as I approached the boys, who all stood with their arms crossed.

"Shut it, Jean," Tyler snapped. I had to hold back a snort at this little mini-man trying to puff out his chest and intimidate me.

"Shutting it," I said; I failed to suppress my snicker, and Tyler took a step forward.

"Something funny?"

"Not at all," I said with a smirk. "But seriously, was it necessary to drag me out here and stand around me in a circle like we're about the perform some kind of satanic ritual?"

"I said shut it," Tyler growled, reminding me of an overexcited chihuahua.

I put my hands up in mock surrender. "This is just really extra is all I'm saying."

He looked about ready to fight me, which I found both funny and somewhat disappointing. Funny because I'd squash him like a moth. Disappointing because he had, not long ago, called himself my friend, and now he was trying to square up with me. Things had changed so drastically, and I still had no idea why.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance at the whole situation. "This is dumb as fuck, guys. Just tell me what the hell's had your dicks up your asses for the last couple weeks."