Finding Power From the Eagle

Peter reluctantly agreed to teaching Abandon how to fly. He had no idea how it would possibly work out since he didn't have wings. However he would try and help his friend.

They strode downstairs again and Peter was about to open the door when Uncle Ben cleared his throat behind him. "Where do you think you're going?"

Peter spun around. "I'm just taking Abandon for a walk," he told his Uncle as he pointed toward the door.

Uncle Ben nodded. "You're not taking that board, are you," asked Uncle Ben as he pointed to Peter's skateboard.

Peter shook his head. "Nah, I'm just walking."

Uncle Ben nodded before he leaned forward. "Who was the boy that fought with you and why did you fight? There had to be a reason."

Peter shrugged. "Just a boy in my class who always gives me trouble, no big deal. He just was going to hurt Abandon and I wasn't about to let that happen."

Uncle Ben nodded in understanding and patted him on the back. "Good boy, I'm proud of you but don't tell your Aunt."

Peter smiled a bit before he pushed the door open with Abandon following. Abandon darted out and sighed, wanting to spread his wings. Peter kneeled down. "Not here. We need to find a secure area."

Abandon nodded before he darted down the sidewalk with Peter hustling to catch up. They made it to a nice sized dark alley. They ducked into it and Abandon wiggled his haunches. "Is here good?"

Peter nodded and Abandon thrust out his wings. They were huge! They look just like a real eagle's feathers. Peter's eyes widened in awe and he leaned forward to touch one. "They're amazing Abandon."

Abandon dipped his head. "Just like an eagle's wings." He smiled. "I wonder what else I've adapted from them?"

"I guess we'll just have to wait to find out," Peter pointed out before he stood up. "So let's get started." He rubbed his hands together and walked backwards, before he thrust his hands in his pockets. "I guess you just flap them."

"Thanks genius," snorted Abandon as he rolled his eyes. He sighed and spread his wings his full length. He flapped them a bit and wind churned under him. The wind turned circular and it seemed to be like a cyclone under him. He turned to Peter and thrust his wings. Wind was thrust at him and he fell backwards, colliding with the building.

Abandon lowered down and blinked his eyes. He rushed to Peter's side. "Are you alright," he asked as he nuzzled his hand. Peter drew a hand to the back of his head.

"Yeah I'm okay," he grunted as he pushed himself to his feet and shook his head to clear it. "Try that again but don't aim at me."

Abandon nodded and flapped his wings again. He drew higher but his wings were stiff and he soon fell to the ground, landing on his underbelly. He grumbled into his white chest fur and pushed himself to his paws. He shook his pelt and tried again, flapping his wings.

He drew higher into the air and tried to churn his wings to make the cyclone of air again. It worked and he thrust the wind ball at a cone. It fell over easily and he beamed a bit. "Did you see that?!"

Peter gave him a thumbs up and Abandon yipped happily. Suddenly he heard a screech and turned. "Do you hear that," he asked before his eyes felt like they were thrust forward and he saw a rat scurrying forward, squeaking at a tabby tom.

He shook his heads and landed on the ground, shaking his head a bit. "That was strange," he grumbled as he licked a paw and drew it over his ruffled fur.

"Strange you're awesome," Peter assured as he kneeled down and stroked Abandon between the ears. "You have a real gift Abandon!"

Abandon shook his head. "I doubt it. I was given this gift, not born with it and I'd hardly call it a gift."

"What was your old home like," pressed Peter.

Abandon's eyes turned dark and misty. "It was hell."